In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

repealing the 17th Amendment

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
I think the time is right to get many states to push for a Constitutional Amendment returning the election of Senators back to the State Legislatures. It wouldn't take the politics & bribery out of the process but it would reduce it some and bring it closer to home.

I've long wondered why no one is suing to end wrongful federal programs by citing the 10th Amendment.

Background on the 17th
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I've long wondered why no one is suing to end wrongful federal programs by citing the 10th Amendment."

THe tenth amendments, like states rights died at Appomatax.
    ... the powers that the federal govt has assumed has gone so far beyond the intent of the framers of the constitution, one of the legislative bodies should be removed all together.The intent was to have a legislative body that represented "state interests (the senate)", and a body that represented "the peoples interests(the house). We no longer have a central govt that only involves itself with specific constitutionally enureated powers, and we no longer have a system that leaves all other power to the states. We have a system where state power and interests are all but irrelevant, and a federal gov't that has virtually unlimite and unrestrained power- a "state" legislative body is no longer necessary.
  • Options
    ClayhillClayhill Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The way Senators are now elected is a real problem, but I'm surprised when I see anyone else concerned about it. First, in my opinion, one huge reason America is declining is because of the rise of the "urbanists". An "urbanist" is someone who lives their whole life in a big city and is pretty much helpless without government taking care of everything for them. They are like hamsters in one of those elaborate cages with all the tunnels and wheels. What has this to do with Senators? In the past, Senators were elected by their state legislators and had to at least pretend to represent the whole state. Now they are elected by voter majority. Where are the most voters? In the big cities. In most states, like mine, 2-3 cities determine who the Senators are going to be. Currently the Senate does not fairly represent America. It needs to be changed.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Clayhill
    The way Senators are now elected is a real problem, but I'm surprised when I see anyone else concerned about it. First, in my opinion, one huge reason America is declining is because of the rise of the "urbanists". An "urbanist" is someone who lives their whole life in a big city and is pretty much helpless without government taking care of everything for them. They are like hamsters in one of those elaborate cages with all the tunnels and wheels. What has this to do with Senators? In the past, Senators were elected by their state legislators and had to at least pretend to represent the whole state. Now they are elected by voter majority. Where are the most voters? In the big cities. In most states, like mine, 2-3 cities determine who the Senators are going to be. Currently the Senate does not fairly represent America. It needs to be changed.

I believe the problem to be much deeper than urban vs. rural.

The problem with majority voting is that money is funnelled by the national parties into these local elections. The Senator is then more beholding to party than to his or her state. If the majority of a State's population is urban, the State Legislature will reflect this, and this is fine. If, however, a Senator is required to cow-tow to his party masters in order to fund his reelection, he can no longer be depended upon to put his state first.

Repeal of the 17th Amendment, and encouraging of states to institute proportional representation in the Elector college will go a long way towards re-establishing some meaning to the borders between the once sovereign states.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I been all for getting rid of the 17th Amendment since the early 90's when I realized it was why I was stuck with Dianne Feinstein.
  • Options
    wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    quote:Originally posted by Clayhill

I believe the problem to be much deeper than urban vs. rural.

The problem with majority voting is that money is funnelled by the national parties into these local elections. The Senator is then more beholding to party than to his or her state. If the majority of a State's population is urban, the State Legislature will reflect this, and this is fine. If, however, a Senator is required to cow-tow to his party masters in order to fund his reelection, he can no longer be depended upon to put his state first.

Repeal of the 17th Amendment, and encouraging of states to institute proportional representation in the Elector college will go a long way towards re-establishing some meaning to the borders between the once sovereign states.

Don, your right 100% on this. The problem however will never be solved. The powers that be will never relinquish power and/or control.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    I think the time is right to get many states to push for a Constitutional Amendment returning the election of Senators back to the State Legislatures. It wouldn't take the politics & bribery out of the process but it would reduce it some and bring it closer to home.

I've long wondered why no one is suing to end wrongful federal programs by citing the 10th Amendment.

Background on the 17th

You are correct. This was one of the first, of many, progressive inroads into our REPUBLIC![:(!]