In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 / SMK / IMR 4895 Loads Needed

Anyone have any good IMR 4895 + SMK loads i can try out in my Savage 10FP 223?

I have 5lbs of IMR 4895 so i will be using this only.I also have SMK 53g and 69g bullets.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    What twist rate is that Savage?

I have only had luck with the Sierra HPBT 69 gr bullets in my Savage 223....anything lighter....did not work so well.

I have have VERY good luck with several powders, but have not worked one up for the 4895.
  • Options
    Point BlankPoint Blank Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pointblank,

I would start with 25 grs. of 4895 for the 53 gr. bullets and 22.5 for the 69 gr. bullets, and work up from there. I have a Savage 12FV in .223 and it shoots the 52's and 53's pretty good(.187, using 4895). I like the 60 gr. bullets the best(SVM's) with mine(.114).
    As far as working up a load there is another post by JUSTC who is going up a 'ladder'. You start with a load within the manuals given range and increase 2-3 bullets at a time by .2 or .3 grs. of powder. You should get a normal variation then a dropoff in increased velocity occurs. This is called the sweet-spot. You can vary by as much as 1/2 gr. per case but still get the same velocity.
    -just some ideas

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can remember shooting IMR 4895 in the .223, I gave up on it. Getting the powder in the case can be a pain. It can bridge the case mouth and cause loading problems. I had to single weigh each load for accuracy. We had to use a powder funnel to drop the powder into the case, making sure it went in. It did shoot very well and gave good velocity and accuracy.
  • Options
    Point BlankPoint Blank Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thx fellers [:)]