In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

thoughts on 257 weatherby mag

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I am looking to start a project gun - what are your thoughts on the "257 weatherby" caliber? Joe

Comments

• Options
    Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

Nice caliber![:D] The 257 Wby Mag. and the 264 Win. Mag. are both great performers and actually the least sought after by hunters. They are considered "overbore" by some. If you are dead set to build a magnum, think about the 264 Winchester Magnum. The 26 calibers offer a much wider range of bullets and they have better ballistic coefficients than the 25's. If you plan to reload, Wby brass can be more $$ than the Winchesters. Factory loads are up there too. I have a Winchester Model 70 264 Magnum and I can't complain about accuracy, even at very long ranges. I've used IMR4350 and 100 gr. Sierra HP's for varmints; 129 gr. Hornady SP for whitetail deer; and 140 gr. Hornady SP for Bear. You can load anything from 85 gr. to 160 gr.

What action will you be using? Get a Barrel, 26 inch with 1-9 twist.
    [8D]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Joes I just picked up a 257 Weatherby and am going to start reloading we need to compare notes . I am going to post a question on the expert forum and hope to get an answer from nononsence[^][:)]. If you want some pictures of mine email me direct . I can't post on gunbroker[V][xx(] as I have only my jpeg files not a photo host sight
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joes
    I am looking to start a project gun - what are your thoughts on the "257 weatherby" caliber? Joe

Check out the price of brass before you pick a Weatherby...it is very spendy.

Have you thought about a 6.5X284? mrbruce built one or two that shoots like a laser beam out to the end of his range; at 350 yards.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

I suppose this begs another question of what you intend to use it for.

I wouldn't recommend it for shooting a large town of prairie dogs since the barrel temperatures will wreak havoc on the throat and rifling. I would recommend it for hunting any other type of wild game with the appropriate selection of a bullet designed for the need. Bullet weights are available from 60 gr. up through 156 gr. from Wildcat Bullets so there is no gap or shortness in the range.

Heavier bullets make better use of the case capacity and combined with slightly longer barrels, provide higher velocities. This also necessitates the use of the slower powders for reloading. I use Re-25, Retumbo and Ramshot Magnum with great results.

If you really want to concentrate on the lighter bullets used in shooting varmints, I'd pick a very different cartridge and practice a little powder, heat and barrel conservation. The .250 Savage is just about unbeatable for both types of shooting, albeit at shorter ranges. I've been using the .25 Copperhead which is the .222 Rem. necked to take the .25 caliber bullets specifically for varmints. Another variation is the .25 x 47mm which is the .222 Rem. Mag. necked up to .25 caliber.

Best.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is one I put together a few yrs ago '01
    IMG_1095.jpg
    Mauser 98 action shelin 26" barrel timney trigger elk ridge stockbrownells teflon spray n bake coating Leupold rings and one piece base

the down sides
    I will never get the money out of it that I put into it bullets 95grs or smaller shoot like hell out of it new brass is $1 ea and ofbrass is .57 each

Joe's how about you send me $85 bucks for 10 out of 400 chances to win this one I have 10 tickets left it benefits FNRA of Gunnison CO
    here is the rifle http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/premier_dealer_exclusives/model_700_LSS.asp
    comes with a nikon buckmaster 3x9 ss scope [;)]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use less than a 26" barrel, you may as well go with a 25/06. I know this as I have both. Be advised that the 257 Wby factory loads are "very" hot. Use an action of appropriate strenght. I used a P17 Enfield but failed to have it magnafluxed and it nearly killed me. I just bought one of the Vanguards in 257 and already question the act due to the amount of velocity lost with the 24" barrel compared to the 25/06 with a 24" barrel. Makes more noise and big fireball.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

+1 on what mobuck said! Get an action of good strength. The right M98, Rem 700, Win 70 or other that will handle the round will do. also the 26" barrel is a must. For all the powder you burn you will need a barrel to burn it in. 26" is the minimum in my book.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    joes,

Here's a short selection of other .25 caliber cartridges:

25calibercomparison4qh5.png

I stated originally that a longer barrel was preferable for the .257 Weatherby. There are exceptions as with all things and this is one of them.

I needed 2 ultralight rifles for a pack-in hunt in some atrocious terrain. My normal hunting rifles run the range from 9 lbs. to 14 lbs. so these weren't going to work as I imagined. I had 2 ultralight stocks; one long action and one short action so I worked with those. The hard question was which cartridges and how long the barrels could be and still be very light. I had one - #1 contour .25 cal. barrel that would work and a #1 contour 6.5 cal. barrel that would work after I turned them down a little. One I chambered for the 6.5/284 Norma and the other I chambered for the .257 Weatherby.

The funny part is that I am a devotee of the long, fat barrels but I had weight restrictions that necessitated cutting the barrels down to 22" in order to make weight. I worked long and hard to develop very efficient loads that would produce both the velocity and energy needed for the hunt.

The 6.5x284 turned out to be superfluous since I used the Weatherby the whole time. Scope, bases, rings, sling and 3 cartridges weighed 6 lbs. 3 oz. complete. Pretty easy to carry compared to the heavyweights I normally use. Velocity was approximately 3250 FPS. with approximately 1200 ft/lbs remaining at 600 yards. All-in-all a pretty fair load from a shorter than usual barrel.

Best.
  • Options
    Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D][8D][8D][:D]
    What about the 257 Roberts and it's ACKLEY IMPROVED version?
    or a Wildcat 6.5x57 or 6.5x06 and their A.I. versions.

Again, what are your intentions for the rifle? (1)Everything; (2)mostly big game; (3)varmints; etc.[?] Montanna rifles makes a great magnum action or pick up a new Remington/Mauser hybrid M798.

[:I][:I][:I]you're right nononsense! My poor choice of words![:I] [:I]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jim the PA Hunter,

"...or pick up a new Remington/Mauser hybrid M798."

The M798 is not a hybrid of anything, it's manufactured by Zastava. The Mark X was imported and distributed by Interarms and Charles Daly before Remington outbid CD for the distribution rights. That's all. The actions are the traditional improved version of the FN Mauser M98.

Best.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 257 Roberts on a 98 action. With decent handloads, I find it to be a very good meat deer gun-adequate power w/o a lot of destroyed meat. In my deer hunting, I like to use different rifles during the season. When guiding, I like to use a dependable Springfield 30/06 for my cleanup gun. I use this rifle when hunting a big buck, also. For filling the freezer, I use a lighter caliber/gun for ease if carrying. The 257 Wby is a somewhat specialized round-my first one was intended to be a longrange coyote rifle and did that well(until it blew up). I would not consider it an allpurpose rifle in any case, but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    BigKev72BigKev72 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And if you really want to go "wild" and stupefy your buddies look at 303/25 (old 303 british wildcat) they are rare as hen's teeth but if you load them right (not using a lee enfield action, P-14's are good) they will keep up with the 257 roberts. The weatherby is a massive overkill to me, short barrel life, lots of bang and flash every time you fire and bloody expensive to buy factory rounds and reload for!
  • Options
    fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about a 25 wssm or speacking of a wild cat, 25 wsm??????[:I]
  • Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joes, do not know for what purposes you are going to use the rifle for. For any thing smaller than elk, I think the 257 would be excellent. I also like the 264, and you can use heavier bullets. Both are hard on barrels, especially if you get them hot. Used for normal big game hunting and coyotes at longer ranges you should have no problems. If you want some extra velocity at no cost, and don't mind the extra length, build them with a 28" barrel. Can be unhandy in a pickup, but you can pick up 100-200 fps. Good luck on your project.