In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hornady 30 cal 168 gr BTHP 4 hunting?

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
30 cal .308 168gr BTHP- has anyone used this load for deer size game? How does it preform? What type of penatration can I expect?

Comments

• Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornaday does not recommend these for hunting. They make more off selling these bullets than the Spire Points, but they design these for accuracy not controlled expansion as with the Interlocks and others and therefore do not want them used for hunting and get a bad reputation when they do not perform.

Hornady knows their business hands down. I would not go against their recommendations. Especially then their Spire point Interlocks work so well on deer!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe,

Check your e-mail.

Best.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nononsense,..a covert testimonial[?][:D]

Well, I'll get it started[}:)] They work and work well on most deer sized game. The shot placement needs to be one which will provide some resistance to the bullet causing it to open. Trimming the meplats will also enlarge the hollow point and makes them far more expandable from shot to shot.

I have taken and seen taken many many deer with match bullets.[^]
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I called hornady today, and they stated "it is a fine bullet for hunting" and "there are many guys that use them for hunting successfully every year and swear by them". Thank you JustC and nononsense for the advice!!! us new-be's need it.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fact is that any bullet, well placed and penetrating properly will kill humanely and quickly. That is what we strive for as ethical hunters. The bullet used is much less important than shot placement. Practice a LOT and practice OFTEN. Skill and confidence is the key.
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know I have thought about this and I realized that these bullets (168 JHPBT Match) are used very widely for the most dangerous game known. Man.

Ask any LE sniper.

Color me reconsidered.

TB
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC,

"nononsense,..a covert testimonial[?][:D]"

Naw, just trying to preserve a little of the skin that I have left on my behind after the last go-'round! [;)]

Actually I sent Joe a couple of links to other places for additional information besides adding my own assent to the concept. It was a timely question since I'm in the middle of measuring and comparing the Berger 210 gr. VLD's to the newer Sierra 210 gr. MK. It's going to take a while since I have other things with priority to take care of as well. What I really want to do is just load some and go shoot but I don't have any time right now. The batch I have is pretty consistant so far and I fully expect them to work on deer and elk and some long range dangerous paper hunting.

Best.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DEFINITELY post the results on the 210gr SMK. I know they need a little tweeking to come up to custom or berger standards, but they are always more available. ifin they can be made to work, and are relatively consistent, that may be the NEW cats meow for the big 30cal shooters on the line.