In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loading 38 S&W

knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
I have a a couple questions:
Can the same bullets for 38 Special be used?
Can a 38 Special case be trimmed to the same size and if not can they be purchased?
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    You can buy everything you need from Midway USA
    W.D.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do not have a good reloading manual, get one. 38 S&W uses a 38 cal bullet. 38 Special is a 357 caliber bullet. Trimmed 38 Special brass will be undersized, and prone to split the casing when fired. 38 Sp bullets will be undersized, and as accurate as throwing a rock.
  • Options
    non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you need bullets that are .361 , which don't seem as easy to find as .357 (38 special / 357 mag) bullets.

Grafs has 1 (just one) weight of bullet the right diameter, they also have some brass. You might also check out auctions here on GB, sometimes 38s&w is listed.
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really want to:

1. trim 38 spl. BRASS( not nickel) cases to 38S&W length.
    2. If you don't have the right reloading dies use the expander from the 9x18mm Makarov in the 38spl dies.
    3. lube cases and expand case mouths just enough to fit bullets.
    4. If you cannot get Speer .361 bullets or find cast in this size buy some cheap 9x18 ammo and pull them.
    5. use load data and keep them cool.
    6. They'll look funny but shoot a little better than .357 dia. bullets

or just fork over some cash at Midway and do it right.
  • Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok scrach one 38 S&W for puchase too much trouble for shooting. Thank you.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two antique pistols in .38 S&W. I first used trimmed .38 special cases and .357" dia. bullets. They were shooting fine. I was only shooting at mansized targets at pretty close range, double action and did not have a problem holding center of mass groups. These were low press loads because they are Black Powder era guns.

I got some .38 S&W cases now and I use cast but unsized bullets in the .360-.362" dia. range. Can't really tell any difference but I feel better about it. I still use my old trimmed .38 special cases too.

Tim
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    denwa...thanks for the tip on where to get .361 diameter bullets. I have looked and tried everything and everywhere...first time I have found the right bullet. The 38 S&W is a great lightweight pack in the woods gun and go fishing with gun. I have a like new S&W Model 33. Picked it up for $163 dollars and have no plans to sell it, too much fun to shoot.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    What I have loaded for years for the 38 S&W, is .358" HBWC bullets seated about 2/3s of the way into the case and crimped. I use 2.5 gr of Bullseye. The hollow base flairs out for a good barrel seal and gives good accuracy.