In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30cal Berger Vld Bullet Question

OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
I was thinking about using a 185gr vld in my 300win mag to hunt elk with this season. I normally load 165 gr NBT but can't find any and I only have about 20 rounds load for this years hunts (1 bull, 1 cow)
I ussually shoot 5 to check for zero before going hunting

Are these VLD's designed for smaller game given that they don't list anything but a 308 on their website in the 30cal section?

Will they work well on elk sized game?

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the vld's are target bullets and not designed for hunting. They might not expand at all or expand too soon and blow up on the surface. If I were in your situation, I'd keep looking for the Noslers or substitute 165 Sierras, Speers, or (better yet) Hornadys if I could find them since it seems 165's are what you and/or your rifle likes. Good luck on your hunt!
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose is correct! The VLD's are for long range target. Their construction does not lend itself to hunting applications.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not my auction, but I found these on the auction side.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=137279121
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    actually Berger says you can hunt with their target pills. I have hunted with match bullets many times over. I don't however recommend a close-in shot with target bullets, they will blow up.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can understand the prospect of hunting vermin and pests, but something like an elk ? Not on my watch.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Berger is now advertising their bullets for hunting. The claim is that the VLD shape penetrates before the jacket breaks up. See the video at:
    http://www.bergerbullets.com/Products/Hunting Bullets.html

It is up to you whether to believe the advertising and the gunzine articles touting their bullets, but unlike Sierra, they DO recommend them for hunting.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Odawgp,

This is the bullet you should be considering as it is the one that Berger recommends for hunting. I've used these on elk and just about any other large game on the North American continent and they are all dead and have been consumed. The naysayers don't read and keep up with advancements in bullet design and construction or they would know that the jackets on the these bullets have been designed specifically for hunting. Not all VLD bullets have thin jackets.

.30 cal/185 Grain Match Hunting VLD/0.308/185 gr./G1 BC 0.549/G7 BC 0.281/1:12" twist/Product #30513

If you have more questions, Berger is very available to answer questions. Just give them a call and ask away. Or if there is anything I can do e-mail me through the Gunbroker system.

Best.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Odawgp,

Berger VLD's will work just fine for hunting elk. If your .300 Win Mag likes them I say shoot them. Berger went against the 'magical bullet' mantra of the hunting mags and marketers. Better constructed bullets do work but they don't kill an animal unless you hit them where it matters...in the kill zone. aka vitals, i.e. the boiler room etc. You have to hit the animal in the organs that will cause it to cease to function when you hit them. The Berger VLD will penetrate and do just that.

FWIW, I shot most of my deer with Sierra and Hornady varmint bullets. The ones that AREN'T recommended for hunting. I shot my elk with a light little 100 gr. Gameking. I honestly believe if you ever see a bullet "blow up on the outside" it wasn't a direct shot. I know that if I had a dime for every time I heard a light bullet was going to 'blow up'...I'd have at least $1.80 to my name.

Bottom line is they will work fine. Good luck hunting.
  • Options
    Southern-XSouthern-X Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to Bergers website and look at the you tube video on the home page. I think it will answer your questions. The Best of the West crew are taking elk out to 1000 yds with Bergers.