In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 Acp problem

mike992mike992 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
Just bought a Taurus 1911 stainless.Loaded Sierra 240 grain. JHC.They don't feed worth a damn in my gun but worked great in my buddies Colt 1911.I bought a box of PMC 45 ACP bullets and noticed that the bullets hand more of a cone at the tip than the sierra bullets and they worked great. Are there specific bullets that are for a 45 auto as apossed to a 45 colt used in a revolver.Also should I be concerned my guns picky.Thanks .I'm a rookie at this.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try shooting some FMJ to break it in for a while. The JHC has a rather sharp angle to the nose and may be hanging up on the feed ramp. You can adjust the seating depth a bit to help if the jambing is consistent in nature.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello You might have mis typed 240 grain I think most likely 230 grain . However that is a moot point The 1911 type pistol was designed to work with a 230 "BALL" round Full Jacketed each and ever pistol even by the same maker will be SLIGHTLY different Reloads should be loaded to Factory OAL spec's but even then the crimp may vary "I like Taper crimp not roll crimp and I like .469 as the case mouth Diameter. after you load a few rounds take your pistol down remove the barrel and test your ammo by dropping each round in the chamber. The cartridge should drop completely into the chamber under it's own weight with the case head flush with the hood of the barrel if your reload does not do this it is your ammo not the pistol causing malfunction.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Mike,
    What Perry Shooter said is spot on, I have several friends that have Taurus 1911s, and they do seem to be a bit ammo specific, but alot of 1911s are. If you want to shoot JHPs, try different brands of bullets, minor difference in design will work wonders. I have a Springfield that will eat anything I feed it, including 250gr Oregon Trail RNFP for bowling pins, but it took alot of feed ramp work to make it happen.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks alot for the help. I'll try different bullets and taper crimp them. I was just worried I might of got a lemon.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you like the gun (when it runs)? Accurate?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm very happy with it. It shot very good accuracy wise with the sierra bullets with titegroup and bullseye.Not mixed together of course.It shot twice as good as my friends Colt. He shot it and thinks the Taurus is a better handling gun. I bought not because of the manufactures hype but it just feels better in my hand than a S&W or a Kimber.It's deffinitly a shooter.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might also want to try a different style magazine follower. You can tune the magazine lips with a tool designed for the 1911. Tweaking the lips will help present the bullet differently to the ramp. One of my 1911's will chamber empties from the clip as a result of the lip alterations. This is not to say some ramp work is not needed....but I would rather replace an overworked magazine than an overworked ramp/barrel...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I would try some BRAND name mags-Wilson-McCormic-Novaks, and see if they will feed with them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The gun was brand new ,so are the clips. There factory Taurus mags. But I will try a different brand.