In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loads for a 45-70

My dad found a good deal on a H&R Buffalo Classic 45-70 rifle (Single Shot Rifle). Looking through the reloading books they divide alot of loads into the C.U.P's of 25,000 40,000 and 50,000. They caution heavily about not loading too heavily for certain guns. As of yet we haven't been able to find where the H&R would fall into. What is the max and best loads for that make and model of rifle? Can it hold up to the same pressures as a Ruger Mk I at 50,000 CUP? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    Noah MercyNoah Mercy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do, flyin'.

I was cautioned against loading beyond the "Marlin-level" (middle) loads for the H&R and NEF guns. In truth, the action will get sloppy fast with a steady diet of even those mid-level loads. (Besides which you won't enjoy shooting a whole lot of them!) The best idea is to stick with the "Trapdoor" loads for knocking around with the gun and reserve the heavier stuff for hunting.

[:D]