In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cases buldge

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
Can someone answer why when loading, I get (3 or 4 aprox.) cases that buldge when I run them through the press but they are fine before I run them? The buldge on the case is such that it will not fit into the chamber. This happens with several different dies calibers (lee dies). The rest of the cases are fine and the last batch of 22-250, shot .5 in @ 100 yards moa. Please help me understand, thanks, Joe.

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Where is the bulge located ?

Given your "Several calibers" statement...perhaps you are not lubing properly. Sounds like tecnique, rather then hardware. Please give more details of lubing procedures, die set-up, ect...
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    highball, The buldge is below the shoulder, and is just enough for the case not to fit in the chamber. I do not use lube because it happens when i am seating the bullet. I would also like to clear up that it is not only my lee die but a rcbs die also. Could it be that that I have the die seated too high?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    common mistake, no big deal. You have adjusted the die body down too far which compresses the case body, and the pressure from the shoulder dimension of the die interior, forces that bulge at the shoulder/body junction. Turn the die back out 1/2 turn or so, and run the decapping rod down farther to make up the difference so it still deprimes the case.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    As stated...back out the seating die...the die is too LOW...screwed to deeply into the press. The die is crimping the case into the bullet...and then crumpling the wall of the case.

If you seat and crimp into the cannulure..then be sure and check case length of EACH and every case....crimping is not really necessary...
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,
    Back the bullet seating die out one full turn, turning it counter-clockwise. Then tighten the lock ring.. Re-adjust the seating stem down to get the correct cartridge OAL. That should solve your probelm.

if not, check the diameter of the expander ball on your decapping stem.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree with Bpost the seating die is the problem NOT the sizeing Die.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe
    The 3-4 cases that are bulging are probably a bit too long. I agree that improper adjustment of the seating die is the culprit BUT the die is correctly adjusted for 98% of the cases. Trim the brass to the same length and your crimps (if you are crimping) will be uniform and no more bulged cases.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joes,

All the above, first look at the sizing die and see if you are getting the bulge then. Not usual, but it happens. Usually with those the bulge is at the bottom below where the die makes contact with the case. Unless you are neck sizing. There is enough room in some NS dies to make a bulge below the shoulder. Something to check here also is how much lubricant you are using. It doesn't take much with some dies to mangle a shoulder as they have tight tolerances. I personally have 4 sizers that require a wipe of lubricant and will dent shoulders when loose lube is left on case shoulders.

Then look at the sizing die. This usually is where shoulders get bunched up. What I do to set a sizing die is put a case (trimmed to length as mentioned above)in the press and run it up. Then screw the seating die down until it touches. If I don't want a crimp I back it off 1/2 turn and lock down. If I do want a crimp, I bump down 1/8-1/16th of tuns Until I'm satisfied I've done enough damage. With each turn I check the brass to see how much it gets moved inward. I do this with a throw away bullet. That way when I pull it I see what it does to the bullet. Helps keep accuracy up. Anyways, that's what I look for when troubleshooting this process, -good luck