In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

OK, I listened and here is what I bought......

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
I ordered a Dillon Square Deal and dies.
Also got a Frankford Arsenal Case Tumbler.
A powder scale.
Bullets, primers, and I have a lot of brass.
I am planning to get Tightgroup powder.

I need to get a medium for the tumbler and need to know what to get.
I also need to know what I am missing so I can complete the items while I am waiting for the Press and Tumbler to arrive.

Is there anything I have forgotten?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use corncob media. There are more aggressive types, but the corncob will work for you. Also if you want a morror finish to the brass but some polishing compound in with it and leave it run overnight. Works great. Oh and dont forget to get all of the chunks out of the flash holes.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kissgoodnight just a few other things,

Case lube (but only if your reloading for rifle)

Might get a primer pocket cleaner/neck chamfer tool

Case trimmer! A#1 must have.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    ibffsteveibffsteve Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use corncob media with a little brass polishing liquid added

Other things to get.....
    calipers...must have
    bullet puller...not a must have but will come in handy
    reloading trays

There is no pleasure in having nothing to do;the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    kiss,I use the Lyman corn cob media,it works great for me,I change it often because I put the cases back in after resizing to clean the lube off of them,"keep your powder dry" and good luck loading,Bob.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    The best and cheapest thing to use in a polisher is rice. Somebody on GB recommended rice a couple of years ago and I tried it. It both polishes and cleans. I mix a little Midway polish with it. It is better than corn cob or walnut hulls.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pearyw
    The best and cheapest thing to use in a polisher is rice. Somebody on GB recommended rice a couple of years ago and I tried it. It both polishes and cleans. I mix a little Midway polish with it. It is better than corn cob or walnut hulls.

I have to try that! great tip!!!!, 20 lb bag from the store? for 6$ or so. [kidding] now we know Pearyw Secret stir-fry recipe [:D]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like you got a good start. The Square Deal is a nice little progressive press. You obviously are only loading pistol cases, as the Square Deal doesn't have the height for most rifle cartridges. But I'm sure the price was right.

You didn't mention getting a "media/case" separator. I sure hope you are getting one, 'cause you'll need it. It's kind of hard and messy to empty/separate each individual case by hand, and they are cheap any way.

Personally I like to tumble the cases twice. When I first get them I use "tuff-walnut" (crushed walnut shells) with some polishing compound added. I tumble for a couple hours or so, untill results are to my liking. There is usually some "abrasive" dust clinging to the cases which I don't want to transfer into my loading dies, so I tumble the cases once more. This time just for about fifteen minutes to half hour, with untreated corn cob. The cases come out nice and clean with no abrasives stuck to them. After loading them, very often, and especially if I am using any case lube or cast/swaged/lubed lead bullets, I tumbled them once more for another fifteen minutes in the untreated corn cob. Results are great.

Getting some plastic cartridges boxes will help keep things tidy and easy to identify. Have fun, and shoot straight. [:D][:D][:D][8D][8D]

ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reloading trays won't be necessary with a prgressive,but some boexes to put the loaded round in would be.
    If you're shooting revolvers a case trimmer and primer pocket cleaner will just gather dust...you'll be too busy just craning out rounds.A lot of auto shooters don't trim either.personal choice and how how your gun works..or doesn't.
    I really like Flitz media polish.Just a capful and run for three or four hours cleans me real nice.I use a a mix of corn and walnut.
    Have fun,but LOAD SAFE,and pay attentinon.If you even THINK you did something wrong,investigate thouroughly!!

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I bought my Square Deal about 15 years ago, I Love it. I have change over kit's for 357,41,44,and 45acp. Never had any problems. Good Luck
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midway (and I'm sure others) has a sifter tray that fits on a three or five gallon bucket. Not quite as easy as a media separator, but economical and thorough!
    Stay focused! You're going to have fun!