In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading Bench Height/Size

shooterusashooterusa Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
I'm looking to build a reloading bench and am interested in feedback on how high or low I should make the bench. Also, any considerations at to how many electrical outlets I should have or how deep I should make it too. Thnaks

SD

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much room do you have? I like mine about 28" deep about 30" tall and as long as you can go!
    Had one not long ago that was an old oak teachers desk. Sturdy![:D] Wish I did not get rid of it.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest an outlet every 4' One of those computer type short ext cord strips with the on and off switch come in handy too.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mounted one of the 6 foot long Wiremold plug strips above my bench. It has a single outlet every 6" along the length and works nicely. Emery

"Well done is better than well said"
    Ben Franklin
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Buy the chair that you are comfortable in first...THAT dictates the bench.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stand and sit. So if you sit to work the presses, make sure they are doable from your seat (make it a comfortable chair with arms). If you stand to do your case/brass work, make sure it is also tall enough to be comfortable, you don't want to have to hunch over too much. Make sure it is all around a comfortable height, and by all means make sure it is OVERBUILT. Make it THICK and strong. I would use at least 1 1/2" thick top so there is no "flex" when you operate your presses. Build in a lot of storage underneath as that will keep your work area cleaner and leave less room for mistakes. Have plenty of outlets and plenty of light.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The June/July issue of OUTDOOR LIFE Magazine has a good article on building a reloading bench with a step by step instructions section, materials needed, etc. My advice would be to build the largest bech by wideth and length that you have the space to accommodate. I am always adding something to my equipment that takes up bench space myself. I now have two becnches (1 large and 1 small) and am thinking about a 3rd one. That way I could have one dedicated to shotgun, one to rifle and one to pistol.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mazo, nice set up kid. Much better than my old homeade unpainted set up. I may have to start planning my winter project.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use an old draftsmans chair that adjusts to the point where I can almost swing my feet free (I'm 6'2"), which gives you alot of vertical adjustment. I went to IKEA (I know, wouldn't have been my first choice either) and they had a roll around Kitchen food prep rig that is about "38 high, has a hardwood "30 x "28 top and two shelves underneath. I will try to post pictures this week. I have a fairly tight work surface area what with all the equipment I have on there, but it works better than you would imagine. I store all my bullets on the bottom shelf and tools and die set boxes on the upper so that it is heavily weighted on the bottom. This way I can unlock the wheels and move the whole rig anywhere I need to. I have a powder and brass cabinet that was in a former life a computer hutch, and it serves me VERY well as it looks like a, well, computer hutch until you open the front doors and see the several thousand pieces of various primed brass and powder containers. I also have a wall unit that used to be a VHS tape holder, and that has turned into a nice place to store once tumbled brass until I can further sort and size it.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are a number of different approaches to these set-ups, and unless you are unsafe in your storage or proceedures, there are many that might work for you. Just make sure you don't commit to a set-up without having thought it through for YOUR IMMEDIATE AND FUTURE NEEDS.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)