In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Accuracy for an SBH

I'm feeling lazy and bored, so I thought I'd ask those who have a Ruger SBH 7-1/2" what makes a good 100-yd load. I get decent results up close (25 yards) from H110 with a 240-gr JHP, but I'm thinking about scoping the pistol and wondered what kind of long-range recipes have worked for you. I'm thinking minute-of-deer or antelope.

Thanks,
Andy

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson"

Comments

• Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm assuming you mean for the 44 mag. try 20 to 22 grains of 2400 with a 240 to 250 grain bullet. I shoot 250 cast ones my self. there are now some very large bullets 270 gr and up that are now available but i haven't shot them because the 250's work fine for me.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have always used 23 gr H110 with a 240gr jacketed bullet. I used to use this load in my SBH for long range metal targets out to 200 meters with iron sights.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    300 grain hard cast lead over lots of W-296 or H-110 sure can make a person smile a lot.
    Don't forget to put a very heavy crimp on them, as it can make a big difference.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    MRbruce? What charge weight are you using? I have been having a hard time finding data for h110 with a 300 cast bullet. I figured I would use 19.0 grs at 1.61" oal, as that was the best guess based on other published loads.

• Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I always figured that using someone else's accuracy load was a good starting point and it might just save me a couple of dozen hours at the reloading bench.And thanks for reminding me top get a new bullet seater for my taper die. I hate moving the one seater back and forth between the heavy crimp and taper dies.
    Yes, by the way... it's 44 mag. I think I've seen guns called SBH in 41 mag, but I was never sure if it was a typo or what...
    "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"