In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 SPL & 357 MAG ?

pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are 38 Spl & 357 Mag bullets the same? Some are listed as 38 spl .357 and 357 mag .357. I was wondering if .357 is the dia. for both calibers. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The BULLETS are the same diameter and weight, .358 Diameter 110-180 grains bullet weight.
    The CARTRIDGE CASES are not the same.
    The 38 special is a low pressure round.
    The 357 Mag. is a high pressure round with a CASE .100 longer than the 38 to keep from chambering and firing in the 38 special chamber.
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the faster 357 you will be happier with jackets unless you slow them down.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been buying jacketed HP's for the same price as lead bullets. No worry of leading and no clean up when they do. I load +P in Titegroup with the 38's and Win 296 in Mag's.

I practice w/ .38's 125gr mostly. When deer season comes close, i'll start practicing w/ what i hunt with .357 158gr JHP

My Ruger Gp-100 shoots both
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So which would be better for target practice 110 or 158 ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OOPS I mean in 357 MAG [:)]
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like 158gr but try some 110,why waste lead on a piece of paper or pop can,they will both make a hole.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pirate2501
    So which would be better for target practice 110 or 158 ?

For informal paper punching it is hard to beat a mid range load pushing a 148 grain wad cutter bullet. in 38 cases loaded with 2.6 grains of Bullseye.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK thanks for that I have plenty of those already loaded up. No need to waste any money then [:D]
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of your results will depend on which pistol you are loading for. The S&Ws have a slow twist 1 in 18+ inches and are a bit better with lighter bullets; Colts use a faster twist and stabilize heavier bullets a bit better and Rugers are right in between so they do pretty well with the full spectrum.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Getting back to the original question, .357" is the nominal correct diameter for jacketed bullets in both the .38 Special and .357 Magnum. The normal weight range of jacketed bullets for both is also the same: about 110 through 180 grains, with bullets in the 140-158 grain range being most common. The original design weight was 158 grains.

Now, with all that being the same, not all bullets are meant for both rounds. Bullets designed for (and labeled as) .38 Special may have thinner jackets and/or softer cores to facilitate expansion at lower velocities. Bullets labeled as .357 Magnum may be much sturdier to withstand the higher pressures and not come apart at the higher velocity.

Many bullets in that diameter are a compromise design that is a bit hard for the .38 and a bit soft for the .357, but usable in both. But if they are labeled on the box as being for one or the other, use them in that round only for best results.

Personally, I use only cast lead bullets in the .38, and mostly jacketed bullets in the .357. When I use cast bullets in the magnum, they are gas-checked. And I stick to 158-grain designs almost exclusively. The only exception is when I load 148-gr wadcutters in the .38 Special.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.