In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullet sizing question

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
I bought an old Winchester mold marked 32 - 165. Based on the bullet weight I figured it could be used in the 32 Win Spl. The mold casts .325" dia bullets. Should they be sized to .323" for the 32 Win Spl?

Could they be used unsized for 8mm Mauser rounds?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try for .001 or .002 over. My 8mm does ok with .323
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Over sized is much better then undersize. Use good lube soft not hard candle wax stuff.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A standard 32 win. Sp. bullet is .321". As charlie said, .322" or .323" at most.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't sized a cast bullet since about 1976. Found accuracy was as good or much better unsized.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh yes, slug the barrel so you KNOW what the groove diameter. Jacketed bullets should be the same diameter as the groove and lead bullets should be at least 0.001" larger than groove diameter.
    Unless you slug your barrel, you don't know what size bullet you should use.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by noylj
    Oh yes, slug the barrel so you KNOW what the groove diameter. Jacketed bullets should be the same diameter as the groove and lead bullets should be at least 0.001" larger than groove diameter.
    Unless you slug your barrel, you don't know what size bullet you should use.

+1