In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 ACP Case, Berdan Primed

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
Thought I had an odd case with small primer. Looked a little more closely and realized it had a Berdan primer.
Head stamp is "FN .45 55".
First one like it I've ever seen.
If it's of any interest to a "case collector", first reply gets it.
Rob

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many European manufacturers use the Berdan system. My guess is yours was loaded by Fabique Nationale in Belgium in 1955 - before NATO standardized on the 9mm. Many nations in NATO at that time had been supplied with 1911's and were using the .45 ACP.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Yes they have been around for some time I have slightly under 100 of those things I started out with exactly 100 but have used up maybe around 20 . I keep 4or 5 empty ones in my gunbox for when I go to a bullseye match and the guy next to me starts picking up all his brass and some of mine . I salt his with a few of my berdam ones
    puts a smile on my face when I think about his broken primer punch
    when he goes to [:0]reload the cases that were not his but ones he took [:0]
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's cruel, unfriendly, and mean spirited, and I love it [}:)]quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Yes they have been around for some time I have slightly under 100 of those things I started out with exactly 100 but have used up maybe around 20 . I keep 4or 5 empty ones in my gunbox for when I go to a bullseye match and the guy next to me starts picking up all his brass and some of mine . I salt his with a few of my berdam ones
    puts a smile on my face when I think about his broken primer punch
    when he goes to [:0]reload the cases that were not his but ones he took [:0]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What 999 said!
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To me, the primer systems show the inverse of the "not invented here" syndrome.
    Hiram Berdan of New York invents the Berdan primer system and Europe adopts it.
    Colonel Edward Mounier Boxer, of England, invents the Boxer primer system and America adopts it.
    Thank God we accepted the Boxer system.
    From what I could tell from patents, GE invents the use of platinum catalyst to cure silicone rubber and Dow adopts it, while Dow invents tin curative and GE adopts it.