In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

222 brass question.

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Recently bought my first 222 in a mint condition Model 70. Not a target gun, just a standard model 70. I've also acquired some factory Winchester 50 gr sp's to start building up my brass supply. I also had a friend give me some mixed 222 brass of RP, and older WW super. So a couple of questions....Would it hurt to keep the RP brass and load it with the Winchester, and would the older WW super be the same as the newer Winchester factory ammo stuff? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO, load both and test both to see which is more accurate. Plus, you may have bought 100 bullets and have some to play around with in developing the best load to match your gun.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The old Super Speed brass was good stuff.

I normally buy my new rifle brass at least 200 at a time so its all the same lot.

I am currently under going a test with 100 Winchester and 100 Remington cases in my 722 Rem in 222 Rem. I am only on the second reload. Last time out, clay birds on the bank about 350 yards off a pack on the picnic bench across the reservoir were easy pickings. Bullet strike on the rocks were left or right of the crosshair, needs a half click of adjustment.

All my mixed or unknown brass is loaded with cast bullets for trigger time.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't mess with mixed old brass.

Buy 100 new Winchester cases and move forward.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If my new brass fit the chamber and the necks are round enough I lightly inside champher and run the flash hole uniformier/de-burrier. I then load them with cast bullets to fire them. Then I run them threw the Forster case trimmer followed by in and outside champhering. Last is neck sizing.

I try and keep my good ammo in # boxes so I can keep track of all the info.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot WW and RP in my .222 for years and have no preference. Both have proved good. I keep them separate and don't load to max.
    3000 fps with 50-55 grain quality pills has proven good for me. Preferred powder in my L461 has always been 4198.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My old Marlin 322 (a Sako L-46 with a medium weight Micro-Groove barrel) doesn't seem to have any problem using both. I load them separately, but use the same load, 55 grain Hornady SX, 19.7 grains of IMR-4198 and a CCI small rifle match primer. I even ran some Federal .223 cases through the sizer and trimmed them and outside uniformed the necks when I heard a rumor that the 222 might be harder to get with the 5.56 being so common - they work just fine. I did anneal them after the first firing. See how the different types work in your rifle and make your decision from there.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    If it were mine, I'd start weighing the cases, at least samples of each to determine the brass content. then I'd fill with water and weigh so to determine the case capacity. with older cases the general trend was that Remington cases had more brass and less capacity.