In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Before I get started

llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
I want all to know if it is safe to load a 300 grain slug in a .45 long colt Rossi/Taurus lever action model M92. I don't want a lecture from self appointed gun snobs. Just want info from a person who can answer my
my ?'s.
Thanx in advance

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great caution must be exercised! My Lee loading manual lists 2400, as giving highest velocities with 300 grain jacketed bullet.

11.4 to 12.5 grains. These are handgun loads. 735 FPS with 12.5 grains of 2400.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming you use an appropriate diameter bullet, and a load recipe from a reputable source (e.g. a reloading manual or powder manufacturer web site) and the overall length of the loaded cartridge will chamber okay, I can't think of any reason you couldn't.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    hello You did not say anything about condition. and maybe it's history of use as to how much it has been shot I would want to let some of at least my friends / prefer those that hand load And know some danger signs to look for. to look at gun it is hard to get a GUN SMITH to give his opinion But might not hurt to ask what he would charge . to look it over.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    It's not the bullet weight, it's the chamber pressure. So, yes it is safe to load a 300 grain bullet, provided the chamber pressure is kept to the acceptable limit.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it can be done safely. OAL and a crimp grove in the right place on the bullet will be important functioning considering's.

My Lyman 49th doesn't list rifle data for larger than 255 grain bullet, but its an older book.

I would stick to regular 45 Colt data not the enhanced Ruger or TC data for 45 Colt.

I load unique for my friends Pietta with cast 250 bullets. He like them.

They have pistol data for 300 gr Sierra bullets here COL 1.670 and low pressures using Hodgdon powers.
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Amount of crimp for tube magazines can depend on how you use them. You can get by with less if you empty the magazine, rather than keeping it topped off.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    llama girl,

About all that I can say is this: Rossi manufactured their Model 92 in .454 Casull. If the Rossi can handle the .454, then it should be safe with properly-loaded .45 Colt ammunition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.454_Casull

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Colt

++++++++++++++++
  • Options
    llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx for all the input. The rifle is new less than a box have been shot out of it. I got some info from a book at the gun store. Just the same I will stick with what I use now 250 grain slugs. I did find info on 185 grain slugs that I didn't have. I will try that next.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a link for you. I am pretty sure you can figure it out for yourself. If not, your rifle will let you know.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be very careful about overall length. If the completed round is too long it may chamber OK, but if the bullet is touching the rifling you are in for trouble. Ejecting the unfired round can disassemble it and spill powder all over the action.

Been there, done that.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    llama girl,

Even when loading into the lands you'll be okay if you start at the starting load and work up.

It's saved me many times doing it that way. I was loading in brand new territory where no data was available. I interpolated what should have been the starting load and reduced a few grains. It's a lot easier to work up than back down after your firearm came apart.

Lesson: Work up...not a problem. Working down won't work. Period.[;)]
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also would like to know if it's safe to use automatic transmission fluid instead of brake fluid in my new truck. I don't want a lecture from self appointed truck snobs. I just want to do this so I can save .05 cents even if it may risk my life and others around me including my new truck.