In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Coated cast bullets

Is anyone on here a big fan of the HY-Tek coated bullets? Aside from the bright colors, is there any advantage with them over the usual greasy hardcast ones?
I need to replenish my supply of 9mm plinker stuff and am looking to obtain 1K of something.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greasy bullets 50/50 Alox beeswax don't lead if sized properly, the plastic like Rooster Red lube makes clean handling bullets that lead your bore.

1000 bullets is enough to run some tests, 2 to 4 shooting sessions for me usually.

I cast my own. I don't plate them and most of the time I shoot them bare foot. I am considering buying or making a gas check maker. I'll be using copper or brass. I would only consider aluminum for anything with a crappy condition bore.

added. The best bullet lube I ever used was a home brew from Mr. 45-70 aka Stu Brainard. It was black with graphite, had some STP and perhaps some moly sulfide in it with beeswax and alox. Was made on a double boiler. He died before I got the formula. Shot away like 2 gallons of the stuff. Not in hollow stick form, so it was spooned into the Lyman sizer. I just use 50/50 stuff from various places.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Casting your own is the way to go. a LEE 9MM mold is 20 bucks, a coleman stove, old wheel weights, (MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT ZINK), old range lead or buy some from a scrap yard and you are on your way.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might consider some Berry's plated boolits for your 9.
    They're pretty cheap and there's no leading issues.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a BIG fan of the coated bullets, they are just another approach. But I am shooting them along with other types and am likely to buy more as my stocks of jacketed, plated, and wax lubed cast pistol bullets are depleted.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on Berry's. Go to their web site and you will find that they ship free for purchases over $75. I've used his bullets for more than 30 years and they are good value for the price.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    been casting my own for a while .The more I read on the powder coating thing the more I am incline to try it out .Folks are getting pretty impressive velocities with ,they claim ,no leading ,may check it out for myself.
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Trying to push cast bullets at high velocity seems kinda counterproductive.

Cast bullets, to me, are for low velocity, low recoil, low noise, economical loads and target loads.

The standard hardcast "greasy" ones work great.

Charlie, I've shot hundreds of .358" 158 SWC's lubed with purple Cerasin out of my K38 with no trace of leading... I didn't ever try Rooster red..
  • Options
    kenlguykenlguy Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    I just don't have any inclination to get into bullet casting. Don't have the time or a place to set anything up. With so many excellent cast bullets on the market today, I have a lot to chose from.
    The coated bullets seem like an interesting concept but if you can push them as fast as a plated bullet then what's the difference other than price. I plan on loading up a thousand at a time so I can always have some in stock when the whim to burn a few hits me.