In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beware Penn Bullets

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
I bought $144 worth of coated bullets from Penn. The finish on them was chipped and didn't look right, but I loaded a bunch anyway. I shot about 100 rounds of 9mm through my Glock and had a squib round. Took the gun apart and attempted to tap the bullet out of the barrel. It was impossible and I had to drill the bullet out. Once out I discovered severe leading in the barrel. The coating had no lubricating effect. Contacted Penn, reply was, "we had some problems with the formula" on the coating. Said they would send me a label to return the bullets. That was about a month ago and nothing. So now they have my money and I have bullets that are usless.

This is a first for me. Never been ripped off by bullet makers before. BEWARE!!

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Berry's for nearly 40 years and don't see any reason to change. He even ships free on orders over $75.
    FWIW
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know that it is a couple man operation, right? Call again and talk to them.
    Penn makes great bullets.
    Have never heard of a squib caused by barrel leading.
    DON'T EVER shoot new lead bullets and NOT check the barrel after about 25 rounds to look for leading. Always check the barrel until YOU are sure that your load is not leading the barrel.
    9x19, in particular, is a problem. Unless you slugged your barrel and ordered bullets that were specifically AT LEAST 0.001" larger than the ACTUAL groove diameter of your barrel, you'll get leading with almost ANY lead bullet, coated or not.
    9x19 grooves can be 0.355-0.359" and still meet SAAMI specs. I find that in ALL my 9x19s, except my 0.359" groove diameter Hi-Power, 0.357-0.358" lead bullets work best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The squib load was not caused by the bullet. The squib load drew my attention to the leading. The jammed bullet was a result of the coating having NO lubricating effect. I have shot hundreds of coated bullets from Missouri and SNS casting with no leading. NO leading.

I assumed it was a small operation when it took three weeks to fill my order. Me call them again? And do what? They made a defective product, said they would send me a label and never did. You think they 'forgot' they sent me $144 worth of useless bullets? You think I am the only one? I don't do business with people who have no honor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I heard from Penn bullets president via email. Said he just heard about this review. He was not happy not in the least bit concilatory. He was able to find my order and explained that the way he does business is that when a product needs to be returned, the customer has to place an order before he sends out the label. Hence, no order, no label. When returning defective items to other businesses, I have always had to return the item before placing the order. Usually the return form is set up to cover whether you want refund or replacement. Never had someone say make an order and we will send you a label.

So... as suggested, in the first forum, I should have contacted Penn when nothing arrived, instead of assuming the worst. Penn took no responsibility for contacting me and asking what I wanted to order before he sent the label. When I told him the bullets were now fishing weights, he offered to fill an order for 25% off and free shipping.

So there you have it. Decide for yourself. He said he has been in business for over 30 years, so he must be doing something right.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the pre-coating days, I bought some Penn bullets based on their claim that their Teflon lube didn't smoke.
    Wrong.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is generally agreed that cast lead bullets are not supposed to be used in Glock barrels, due to the particular type of rifling used, and ensuing severe leading. I don't really know why, and I have heard arguments on both sides, pro- and con- use of cast lead bullets in them. I have myself used many thousands of Penn bullets over many years, with no problems, in pistols and rifles. I shoot jacketed bullets in my Glock 17.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Re: Glock and lead
    My own guess is folks new to lead bullets NOT inspecting the barrel for leading and shooting several hundred rounds with leading building up until there was a problem.
    Rather than tell people what they should be doing, it is just easier to say "no cast bullets" and walk away.
    Many shooters I have known have never really looked down the barrel. They just run patches through until they come out clean.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That's what you get for NOT reading the Glock manual !!!!!!
    It says to NOT use lead bullets in them !!!
    In fact any barrel with that riffling will lead bad.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot lead in a G19 and a Kahr 45. Both guns have bright bores and don't lead with lubed bullets.
    I clean them anyway.