In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

32-20 loads for 1873 winchester

hello, i just picked up a 1873 winchester and would like some smokeless loads that would be safe in it. shoots well with BP loads but i am getting old and tired of he cleanng needed with same. thanks

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy standard lead bullet loads or Cowboy Loads for your 1873.
    Ammunition makers today only load low velocity loads in 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40 but for some strange reason some makers load jacketed bullets in them.
    Avoid the jacketed bullets.
    Better yet, buy a Lee reloading outfit and use the dipper that goes with
    the die set.
  • Options
    deerstalkertdeerstalkert Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    V35 thanks for the input. have any loads insmokeless tatwould be safe? i am reloading now with 20grs volume of triple seven but would like some smokeless loads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For light loads, I've loaded 4.1 gr Unique with 90 gr & 4.3 gr Unique with copper washed, 115 gr RNFP lead bullets.
    Bullets are from National Bullet Co, now out of business, but I have a good supply.
    Several other bullet makers sell the same style lead bullets.
    These are very light 1200fps NRA loads and fun for plinking.
    I wouldn't shoot jacketed bullets in it even though the 1873 was made up till 1920, well into the smokeless era.
  • Options
    deerstalkertdeerstalkert Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks v35. i found a box of remington factory loads with 100 gr lead and cronoed them at 865 fps. my 20 grs of triple seven sent 115 grn. lead at 1380 so the factory is VERY cautious. will try the unique loads. thanks again
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Factory high speed loads for 115 grain bullets were about 1650FPS.
    I'd lighten up a bit to about 1200 for your gun.
    They still are satisfying to shoot.
    The lead bullet loads are designed to also be safe for pistols and are a waste in a rifle.
    There are old K-Frame S&Ws and Spanish copies around.