In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sometimes it's Like Christmas.......

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
morning around here! In looking over my reloading notes on .44 magnum, I discovered I have a Stainless Super Blackhawk that has never been fired outside the factory. I have had it for several years but apparently have never got around to shooting it. So, the other day, I took it along with 3 other Blackhawks to my range. Now my range is 100 yds. and I can't shorten it since I shoot over a swampy area. Also, my glasses have not been updated in a long time so with the lower part of the bifocals, I can see the sights just fine but the target fades out; and with the upper part of the glasses, the target (8" black circle) is sharp but the front sight blurs and doubles up. So I do the best I can.

The Super did just fine once I got the sights set. I was using heavy "Elmer Kieth" type loads and they chronographed well into the 1400 fps range. But the real star of the day was the 7 1/2" .45. With 250 gr. Hornady HP/XTP and 10 gr. Unique I managed to fire two 5-shot groups that measured 7.38" and 7.75". Velocity was just over 1000 fps. Not too bad for 75 yr. old eyes. A good day!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any day shooting is a good day. Good work. We are finally getting some rain and cooler temperatures. The "kids" are all begging for an outing. I have vision issues too with the right dominate eye. With handguns I can switch to the left eye easy enough but I don't do nearly as well shooting left handed with long guns.