In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

herter's sizing die

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
Do I need to use lube to size 44 mag ( straight wall) using a herter's. Other die do not require lube but I see nothing with the herter's die.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the opening on the die. If it looks like it has an incert then most likely carbide and no case lube required. Somewhere I have a herter's 38 special carbide sizing die, it is very undersized.
  • Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original instruction sheet included with Herter's Pistol Dies states in step 2: Put a thin coat of Herter's lubricate (that's the way they spelled it) all over the outside of a pistol cartridge case.

Send me your post office address, and I'll mail you a copy of the instruction sheet.
    Best, Ken
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the great info and very kind offer ken, but no need for the instructions. I though I was gonna need to lube.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steel dies require lubrication. Carbide dies do not require lubrication. Carbide dies are usually marked "Carbide." A carbide die is a steel die with a carbide sizing ring inserted in the base of the die.