In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Scale to buy?

jesnlsnjesnlsn Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭
Gentlemen:

what scale would you recommend, I am a beginning reloader, and have a Dillon 650. I do not intend to reload highly specialized rounds, like match quality rifle or anything. For now I am just reloading pistol calibers.

anyway, would like an inexpensive one but don't want to try and save a buck and have to buy it twice.

should I just buy a beam balance or do I need to spend the money for an electronic one?

Comments

• Options
    gcs10gcs10 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The electronic scales really shine when you need to check several weights in a short period of time. The balance beam versions are much cheaper and gravity never fails. But, they are slower to weigh your charges. I have a Dillon 550 and spot check my charges with an RCBS 5-0-2. It is not quite as accurate as my tuned Redding balance beam but it works quite well to spot check loads periodically. I use the Redding when I am trying to load very accurate rifle loads. I do not own an electronic scale because they seemed too expensive and my weighing volume is not normally very large.

Cort
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Buy a Dillon electronic or beam.
    Both are very good.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I have an old RCBS (Ohaus) 1010 that has worked great since 1974. I trust this scale completely and tend to shy away from the electronic scales. JMO.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought an electronic scale a couple of years ago, after using a Hornady beam-type for 30 years.

Still find myself checking the electronic with the beam.....[:I]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either an electronic or beam are more than accurate enough for any reloading purpose. Digitals have the advantage that you can't get a poise weight in the wrong slot, are much faster at sorting cases or bullets, and can't be misread. Beams don't need electricity. Both types are sensitive to drafts and static electricity.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer electronic and have used a beam scale only once.

Why? Because beam scales don't have a "tare" button.

[:D]
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just buy the best scale you can afford , be it digital or balance beam . If you buy a digital you won't want to upgrade later !I have both and always will ! That way I can check on the digital now and then . I checked it alot when I first got it , but have come to trust it now , my digital is the RCBS Powder Pro made by PACT , It's probably 10 years old or more !
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a pact and love it. They are not to expensive, around 100 bucks, and this way you wont have to upgrade later.
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Lyman LE-1000 electronic scale and it works great for me. I also have a Lyman beam, but I don't use it very often anymore.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are checking charges as opposed to weighing a charge, you can use a balance beam set to the weight you need and occassionally dump a charge to see if it balances and verify it is +/- .1 grain.