In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need advice on a bow for a 10 year old.

904fyter904fyter Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
I just took my 10 year old son to his first DU green wings event yesterday. He has been shooting a Reminton 20g for about a year now. One of the events for the kids was an archery range. Well, my son loved it. He shot three stations of sporting clays and we were right back at the archery range. My question is, what would be a good starting set-up for a 10 year old? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that the genisus bow would be a great start for a compound but dont rule out a nice little recurve. Their are so many good little bows out there. Go with what you can afford. Make sure that he is checked for draw length. you can do this draw lenth by him making a fist and putting his fist against the wall and taking a tape measure from the wall to the corner of his mouth, hope that helps a little.. good luck to both and have fun with it...

excalibur
  • Options
    Stormtrooper 13Stormtrooper 13 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another thing is to make sure he has fun with it. I've seen kids ruined on bowhunting, because dad was too demanding on archery courses for a 10 yr. old. Get him a bow, set it up for him, show him good mechanics, and if he's interested he'll take it from there (just like football you can't force him to like it).

Just think of the first time you take him bowhunting, and he's shaking so bad the tree leaves are rustling. You'll never forget it!!! [:D]

qman_lr_105t.jpg

Only the strong shall survive !!!
  • Options
    woodyd70woodyd70 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    right on again ex.............the genesis is hard to beat for the little guys.

woodyd
  • Options
    thebearthebear Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pick a bow that has a draw weight that grows with your son. The 30-50 pound range, the Browning Micro Midas is a great starter bow but most of the youth bows are fine. I would start him with a trigger release & lite carbon arrows. The price on these arrows has really come down in the past few years. Good luck