In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Antique Non-Damascus Barreled SxS Shotgun?

Jhealey1955Jhealey1955 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
I am in currently in the market for a double-barrel/side-by-side centerfire shotgun from the late 19th century (1870's to late 1890's) that does not have damascus steel barrels. So far, I haven't been able to find anything but damascus barreled guns. I know that some single barrel shotguns from that era used fluid steel barrels, notably Remingtons, as did the various makes of repeating shotguns, but I have yet to find a side-by-side that does. Any ideas as to what manufacturer (if any) from that era produced a double-barrel shotgun with fluid steel (or comparable) barrels?

Comments

• Options
    ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1889 Remington hammered doubles came with both Damascas and fluid steel barrels. I have a fluid steel one that I use for CAS.

FM
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may surprise you to know that a lot of the old doubles that look damascus are actually steel. It was a custom to acid etch steel barrels to make them look like more expensive damascus barrelled guns. If they say damascus finish, they are probably steel barrels. Keep looking, It should be easy to find a shotgun these days.