In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dixie Gun Works question

jerrdanjohnjerrdanjohn Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I bought a 45 cal barrel 35" long that is marked "Dixie Gun Works Inc." made in italy. I have been hobby gunsmithing for years, but never a black powder gun. I want to build this into a flintlock. The barrel has never been drilled for a nipple and has no flashpan mounted. The barrel is 15/16 and I bought a hawkin stock (being shipped now) for it. I will need to get a lock and trigger set, but have no idea how the flashpan or anything else is mounted. Any tips??

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The flashpan mounts to the lockplate, not the barrel. The geometry of the touch hole, flash pan, and frizzen are very important to the reliability of a flintlock. You would be well advised to inspect some original flintlocks or quality reproductions to see the proper arrangement. An original Model 1840 US flintlock musket is pictured below.

John

m18402.jpg
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the barrel have a breach plug? If it's a blank it may not. That would be your first step. If building a flinter you'll need to drill a flash hole, but you'll need everything together first to figure out the location. You can google search info on building the rifle, but you'd be well served to buy a book or , even better, a DVD.
  • Options
    jerrdanjohnjerrdanjohn Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The breach plug is in it. 5/8 threaded I believe. I plan to get it mounted in the used stock I bought, find a lockplate for the Hawkin stock and go from there.
  • Options
    Kate SudarkinaKate Sudarkina Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DAA PDR Low-Ride Holster
    The Production division has been growing rapidly in recent years, and in many regions it is now the largest and most competition class. Reasons for this vary, but primarily it appeals to many for its simplicity, reduced costs, and a return to the "more practical days" of Practical Shooting.

Tension adjustment is done by turning a single screw by hand, without the need for any tool or aid. The adjustment ranges from very loose(*), to almost locked tight with just a few turns of the tension knob.
    edited November -1