In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

50 cal patches

pabiggun300pabiggun300 Member Posts: 33
what do you shoot ? iam new to black powder, iam shooting 50 cal Hawkins getting all the stuff together , shooting .490 ball , have read to use .10 patch or .15 or .18 or .20 not sure what to get , can someone help with loads and sizeing of patches ? and 2f or 3 f I know you can use either , any advantages of 2f over 3 f ?

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Patch and powder are a matter of trial and error.
    Either 2F or 3F will work in your gun, I prefer 3F.
    Try .015 patches, shoot where you can pick your patches up, after you shoot. If your patches have a large for size hole in them, go to .010 patches.
    The point is, if your tearing a hole in your patches, they are too tight. According to theory, 3F powder and .010 lubed patches should be ideal for your rifle, but, every gun is different, and requires different care and feeding.
    I have found that pillow ticking makes the best patches.
    Have fun, be safe.
    W.D.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What thickness patches to use can depend on what kind of shooting you do. Competition shooters use very tight fitting patch and ball combination for maximum accuracy. Casual target shooting and hunting may use a looser fitting combination for ease of loading and still get satisfactory accuracy. It's a try and see situation.