In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How many BP pistols...

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,872 ******

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,108 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,108 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joe I have had both and like the remingtons better as shooters, to me more accurate, though they do seem to foul up worse than the colt replicas. after my cataract surgery my vision is 20-20 but need readers from arms length in, open sights on pistol are just to hard to shoot with any accuracy anymore, so I got rid of both of mine. for some reason a reddot just doesn't look right on black powder pistol.....[;)]
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,872 ******
    edited November -1
    That's great on the 20/20 vision,except for the up close.
    Agree,no red dot or scope on the BP's. Love thier looks just as they are.

When I was a kid,my dad had a pretty nice gun collection. Many were old cap-n-ball the real things. Sure wish I had any one of the guns he had.
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    do you own???

Not as many as I want.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one really nice Pietta with a shoulder stock...never shot it
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,936 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two but pre-revolver. Is Bobski on break?
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,872 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Two but pre-revolver. Is Bobski on break?

he's slackin,,,
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,240 ******
    edited November -1
    Just one. A small Siler flintlock with a 12" Green Mountain barrel, walnut stocked in 40 caliber.

It goes with one of my 40 caliber long rifles to make a set.
  • 0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    2, an older pietta Remington 1858 and another old CVA percussion long Rifle in .45

On the 4th I loaded them both with blanks wads and cornmeal and shot off a few rounds then immediately came in and cleaned them for 45mins to an hour.
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy at my skeet club just sold me an unfired Thompson Patriot with all the fixings in the box dated 1976. I'm torn between leaving it a lone or shooting it.....I'm leaning towards shooting it...[:)]
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,166 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's see, I have a Navy Colt .44 I got from Dixie 20 years ago, nice pistol I keep it loaded in a drawer in the new living room, I have a Ruger Old Army very nice gun, I have Uberti Cattleman .44 very nice, I keep it loaded in the old living room in the drawer, I bought a Pietta 1858 Sheriff's model in .44 a year ago, what a beautiful, well made pistol. Got the 5 1/2 inch barrel, I keep it loaded by the bedroom in the drawer.
    Like it so much I bought another just like it never have fired that one.

Also I don't know if it meets your criteria, I have a Howdah pistol in 20 gauge which takes a .590 round ball. I think that is all.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm up to 6 and want 1 more.

Pietta 1860 Army - 2
    Pietta 1858 NMA - 2
    Pietta 1851 Navy - 1
    Pietta 1851 "Army" - 1

I want another Pietta 1851 Navy.

Find I like shooting my Colts more than my Remingtons. Actions are smoother.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a Pietta 1858 was my pops. Its a nice old 44 Shot it once and its a great gun. One is enough had a CVA BP rifle too much work. Modern loads are much better.
    "What is truth?'
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just one an Italian Made 1851 colt navy not sure if it a uberti or what . It was given to me by some friends in 1975 or so
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Down to just one, but it is a dandy shooter, a Uberti mfg. Colt 1860 .44 replica. I am always amazed by its accuracy, and reliability (assuming the correct fit cap, pushed snugly onto the after-market "improved" nipples)!
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2. A repo LeMat and a stainless Ruger old army. Haven't shot either.
  • Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 Pietta 1851 Navies Very nice fit and finish pistols. .44 cal. The only thing I do not like is after 18 or so shots the hammer clearance on the frame narrows from primer carbon.

The cleaning is a chore also, but the pistols are a hoot to fire and to think that they where state of the art at the time. My Father gave all sons a pair to slowww our shooting down some. And did it ever, we had to promise him that we would shoot them every year. I would estimate that I have 200 balls out of each. And they still look Great and are cleaned and oiled after every outing.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only one so far, an old CVA Hawken kit gun. Someday I'll add a Colt Walker or Dragoon replica to the mix.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1
    Just added an unfired Uberti 1863 Police in .36. Found it in an antique mall in Kansas City. Did as well there as at the gun show I went for. So I am up to three now. Look out Drobs! :lol:

Keep up the good work Joe, he might keep slackin.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of them... if I want to load them with black.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Colt 1849 Pocket in .31cal, made 1863, and a 1862 Colt Pocket Police Richards-Mason conversion to .38 CF, made 1870. Haven't shot either one of them.
  • Pure bamaPure bama Member Posts: 40
    edited November -1
    I had several Ruger Old Army's...sold all...only have a Colt Dragoon,and a Colt Walker in a presentation box...none ever fired....In my opinion, Ruger made the best!
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3

2x 1860 Colt Armys both are Uberti

and

a Lyman Plains Pistol in 54 cal.
    RLTW

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    i thought it would be neat to clone some old BP firearms in modern ammo...especially like the Colt Root sidehammer      i have  a  Uberti open top in 44 russian that is a fun piece...i like the octagon barrel look on older firearms
    Now I am up to 4.  Way more than I will ever need.
    OK He Dog!  What did you get?
    Just a .45 Pietta revolver.  Just too cheap to pass up. 
    I have owned several cap & ball revolvers over the years that I either got in trades, gifts, or on the cheap.
    Have always sold them or traded them off without firing any.  One that I wish I would have kept was a Colt Walker repro that was marked by Colt and had all of the right barrel markings as the originals. It was new and unfired.  At the time I got rid of it my thinking was that the piece was just too darn heavy!  Almost 5 Lbs. But it sure was purdy!
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    NONE. I bought a .45 BP rifle back around 1975, shot the crap out of it, found out what you had to do to clean it, got rid of it. Too much work.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

Pietta 1851 Confederate Navy .44. The quality and workmanship is amazing. I do not know how they make any $$ at what they sell for.

Had it about 2 years. As yet unfired, but I do have all the essentials, and a spare cylinder. One of these days I am going to have to visit Allen Griggs for a tutorial.

*Updated to reflect it is an 1851, not an 1858. Have it out now. A beutiful Firearm.

• paper chaserpaper chaser Member Posts: 7
    Let me see: 2 main match; 2 backup; 3 just in case.
    SASS #54926
    Mississippi
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't own any BP pistols but I've got 2 Ruger .45 Colt that's never had anything but BP or BP sub shot in them. I bet the old timers would have loved to have stainless steel guns back in the dark days.

• papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Got a 51 Navy Pietta. It just sits home but a few weeks ago I looked at the nipples and saw some rusty oil. I cleaned the gun up nice and a spare cylinder too. Loaded it up with some old, real black, that I lucked out on at a gunshow a few yrs back. Candlewax will keep it forever ready but probably next year if we have one

• papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Well I had this loaded with some wads to seal instead of dripping wax. I never used wads before so fired em off to see what happens. Giant white flashes and an inch group at 50' (rest)

• dutchwinddutchwind Member Posts: 29 ✭✭

I have an 1851 Navy repro with a short barrel that shoots ok, and me'n Mama have a TC Patriot apiece fer competition at the 'voos. I shoot pistolas badly, Mama not quite so bad--she's been top lady in some of the trailwalks. I, too, have recently had my cataracts repaired; my rear-sight picture is still fuzzy, but not as bad as before. Don't go to rondies anymore, though, so I'll probably part with the TC's at some time in the near future. I sometimes carry when I've got the prospect of trouble with a 4-legged critter, but right now my '51 is light-loaded for rabbits, the season for which is over today--time to go to the range and let off a few rounds so I can clean the pistol. The loads I have in right now have been there all season, but I fully expect 'em all to fire; done it before. Nothin' wrong with a BP revolver for personal defense--if the first 5 rounds don't solve the problem, you can duck away in the smoke!

mind yer topknots!

Dutchwind

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

I have two left, an 1849 Colt Pocket five-shot with a 4" barrel and its accessories and an 1860 Colt Signature Series .44. Sold my 1842 Ames Navy single shot percussion and my Pietta Remington .44 stainless. I have fired the 1860 and was able to put 3 of 6 shots on a standard BT-27 target at 100 yards, surprised the hell out of me!

• sgreenman64sgreenman64 Member Posts: 1

I was always interested in US Civil , have three 51's, three 60's and a 1858 remington new army. shot most of them. can't too much any more but I like oiling them up and have a few on display in shadow boxes. have a bunch of percussion rifles , etc.

What can I say...it's almost a disease!!

When in Norther Ohio- check out the Log Cabin in Medina County.

• tinhorntinhorn Member Posts: 2

Brace of 5.5" stainless Uberti 1858 Remingtons, four 5.5" blued ones, one each blued and stainless 8", and a couple carbines--all .44 caliber. Have a few conversion cylinders in .45 Long Colt so I can play with laser snap caps. One Pietta 1873 Pocket Remington, .31 caliber just 'cuz it's cute.