In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barrel length

Walley19Walley19 Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
Would a 22-inch barrel be long enough for complete powder burn when using more than 100 grains of loose powder? One of my friends is looking at an in-line that is advertised as having only a 22-inch barrel and I vaguely remember once being told that the 24-inch barrel on my CVA Wolf was too short for more than 100 grains of Pyrodex RS.

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you are worried about splitting holes at 100 yards it wont make any difference. I'm sure for everyday plinking and general hunting it will be fine.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There will be a huge muzzle flash of unburned powder with that load. I have taken pictures of shooters at dusk and there is a four foot streak of powder burning beyond the muzzle. Vintage rifles were made with 4 foot barrels to contain and burn all the powder in the barrel.
  • Options
    Walley19Walley19 Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clyde:

Wouldn't the same thing happen when using a magnum load of three 50 grain pellets in shorter barreled rifles?
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. There would be the same effect. Try taking a picture. It is quite spectacular.