In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Accident

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
Had to be a first responder(along with the girlfriend and a couple in another car) at an accident tonight. The accident happened a little ways in front of us and all I could see was dirt flying in the air and then a car sitting out in a field resting on top of a fence, just off of the interstate. The lady swerved to avoid a large bag on the road and lost control, and according to the other first responders rolled 3 times. Luckily, she was ok and had only a few scrapes and bruises. One thing that really irritated me though, was that a few other cars that were right behind her when she crashed just kept going like nothing happened.[:(!] I just can't understand how people can do something like that.

Jon

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    will this guy end up in an autobile accident?

quote:Clinton denies knowing about photo with Rezko
    Photograph shows Clinton standing with man she calls a 'slum landlord'

edit for spelling
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A man wakes up in the hospital, bandaged from head to foot.

The doctor comes in and says, 'Ah, I see you've regained consciousness. Now, you probably won't remember, but you were in a pile-up on the freeway. You're going to be okay, you'll walk again and everything, but..... Something happened. I'm trying to break this gently, but the fact is, your willy was chopped off in the wreck, and we were unable to find it.'

The man groans, but the doctor goes on, 'You've got $9000 in insurance compensation coming to you, and we have the technology now to build you a new willy that will work as well as your old one did - better in fact! But the thing is, it doesn't come cheap. It's $1000 an inch.'

The man perks up at this.

'So,' the doctor says, 'it's for you to decide how many inches you want. But it's something you'd better discuss with your wife. I mean, if you had a five inch one before, and you decide to go for a nine incher, she might be a bit put out. But if you had a nine inch one before, and you decide only to invest in a five incher this time, she might be disappointed. So it's important that she plays a role in helping you
    make the decision.'

The man agrees to talk with his wife. The doctor comes back the next day.

'So,' says the doctor, 'have you spoken with your wife?'

'I have,' says the man.

'And has she helped you in making the decision?'

'She has,' says the man.

'And what is it?' asks the doctor.

'We're getting a new kitchen.'
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I responded to a wreck across the street from my house. Some Blazer smacked the corner of a concrete building. Didn't bother the building, totaled the Blazer. Two teenage girls inside didn't know what hit em.

Well done.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    fivefivesixfivefivesix Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stop every time I see an accident (and if not possible I will use my cell phone to notify emergency services) because I remember the one time when I was driving towards Rockport, TX to do some fishing and the bad weather had closed down some of the roads so I was taking a route that I was unfamiliar with. Just my luck, I had a blowout and ended up swerving in to the ditch on the other side of the road. Thankfully I was ok, but people just kept driving by and looking at me as I sat on my hood in the rain. One man was nice enough to stop, called the local tow truck, waited with me, gave me a lift to the local station and waited while I got my tire changed out and everything fixed up. I will never forget that mans kindness and from then on I will try to extend the same to anyone I see who needs help.
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jon0322
    Had to be a first responder(along with the girlfriend and a couple in another car) at an accident tonight. The accident happened a little ways in front of us and all I could see was dirt flying in the air and then a car sitting out in a field resting on top of a fence, just off of the interstate. The lady swerved to avoid a large bag on the road and lost control, and according to the other first responders rolled 3 times. Luckily, she was ok and had only a few scrapes and bruises. One thing that really irritated me though, was that a few other cars that were right behind her when she crashed just kept going like nothing happened.[:(!] I just can't understand how people can do something like that.

Jon

How much you want to bet that those that drove on by are anti-gun as well... Well I'm assuming they got there scruples from Ted Kennedy...[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another first responder here.

Sometimes, the best contribution people can make at the scene of a casualty is to not help.

Sad but true.

Edit: Well done Jon.
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The average motorist/passerby type would be totally unprepared to do much at an accident scene. They aren't going to have latex gloves to help avoid HIV or hepatitis, they have no medical kit or equipment to stop bleeding other than a belt, panty hose, or hand pressure, and they don't know what they are doing in terms of moving a victim. You can count on some type of aggravated injury lawsuit if they touch an injured party, and the legal defense cost alone would financially ruin most people. How many do you think are going to take a chance at that point?

I do carry gloves in my vehicles (for several reasons) and have a small medical kit, have a small bit of knowledge of emergency treatment, and am willing to risk the lawsuit, but it's not hard to understand in this day and age why most won't stop.[:)]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dlrjj
    The average motorist/passerby type would be totally unprepared to do much at an accident scene. They aren't going to have latex gloves to help avoid HIV or hepatitis, they have no medical kit or equipment to stop bleeding other than a belt, panty hose, or hand pressure, and they don't know what they are doing in terms of moving a victim. You can count on some type of aggravated injury lawsuit if they touch an injured party, and the legal defense cost alone would financially ruin most people. How many do you think are going to take a chance at that point?

I do carry gloves in my vehicles (for several reasons) and have a small medical kit, have a small bit of knowledge of emergency treatment, and am willing to risk the lawsuit, but it's not hard to understand in this day and age why most won't stop.[:)]
    Honestly, even with medical training there's not always much you can do. My wife is a nurse, she happened on a rather horrid accident scene toward the end of last year where a motorcyclist who didn't have a helmet on suffered some rather nasty head trauma. She kept him still to prevent him from doing further damage, but we then spent some time speaking with lawyers, etc. to make sure that we wouldn't get sued over her attempts to help.

While Colorado does have a Good Samaritan law, nothing says that someone couldn't file suit (they just couldn't win) and make life rather miserable.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Knew a guy one who swerved for a cat - killed a family of four and
    put himself in a wheelchair for 19 years (then died).

... we don't swerve.