In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old-Colts

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in General Discussion
What is that you've got to buy now? [8)]
What's next?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    How was the Waco show? I hope it was an enjoyable one.

I was down in Texas and would have liked to have driven over to meet you, but I simply did not have the time to do so.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've got to run an errand Old-Colts, but I'm sure you remember this oldie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oo3FZViW7k
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't have this kind of money to buy I just thought it was interesting and though you might could give me a good opinion on it, Thank You, Barbwired. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=241376253
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are you and the wife okay?! I just heard about how bad Palestinee was hit.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was hoping you would chime in on this thread in the ATE forum:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=452470#3594482

Please read my replies when you get a chance. What's your take on these?
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aren't you the one that posted a pic of your Christmas tree all lit up with the train around the bottom? The room lights were off and the tree was all lit up with white lights?

Always liked that pic. Hope it was you, would like to see it again.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did you get the info I sent you?
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OC: A friend on mine is asking about this 2nd Generation Colt: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=228433877

I think it's overpriced for the condition. However, the big question is the cylinder: For one thing, it looks a lot newer than the rest of the gun. The muzzle and ejector have holster wear but the cylinder doesn't. Finally, it has very pronounced bevels that I can't seem to find on other models made in the 1950's.

Can you take a look and see what you think?

Thanks!

pix716199322.jpg
    pix885950765.jpg
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We could use a good story...or must we wait until bed time?! [:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see you made it back from the FFL and are still with us!
    What do ya think?[;)]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lionel Trains????
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's about time you and the wife head out for Denver, isn't it?! [8)][:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I posted two pictures of Queenie the other day and you did not see either one of them did you?
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shoot me an e-mail. The address is in my profile. I need your contact info if'n you don't mind. We are down here just outside College Station (Aggieland, ugh!)
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There is a thread on the expert forum that needs your expertise. It is titled "Colt dueling pistols"
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was sitting here...being my serene self, of course, and I had this vision. It was of a small boy running like the crow flies, due north, through a field of Texas blue bonnets wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Then after a brief pause, I was watching the same young lad racing a young colt across the same field of beautiful flowers, both seeming to fly in full stride towards a bright blue glistening sea. And still later, another vision came to me, but it was blurry, nontheless, the distinct smell of hamburger and french fries came to me. Let me ask, did you by chance vist the Toy Store up north again, then head south toward the Gulf, and maybe have a Whataburger on the way home? [:D][:p]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shoot me an e-mail, yours isn't specified here at GB.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    must be busy! He has had a great time lately. No telling what he's up to now that the 'dillas have been sent to the promised land. [:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a 1877 Colt Lightning with a 4 digit serial number with pearl grips.Is it worth getting a Colt Factory Letter for it???
    What's next?
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kimi, we've been out of town for a while. One of my sisters and brother in law were visiting from Baton Rouge and we've been doing some travelling around Texas down in the Salado and Austin area. We spent the majority of the time visiting some Artsy Fartsy areas for the wives! [xx(] However, the last day out we dropped the wives off to shop downtown Austin while my BIL and I spent time shopping Cabela's in Buda, Texas and visiting Camp Mabry in Austin going through the Texas Military Forces Museum. [:p] This was our attempt to rebuild our testosterone levels, [:0] which were almost depleted by the Artsy Fartsy stuff, but have now been somewhat restored.

Sorry I missed it, can you point me to "Queenie"? I'm curious!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    ...and visiting Camp Mabry in Austin going through the Texas Military Forces Museum. [:p]

An excellent museum! I haven't been in a few years, do they still have the amazing display of military vehicles?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo
    ...and visiting Camp Mabry in Austin going through the Texas Military Forces Museum. [:p]An excellent museum! I haven't been in a few years, do they still have the amazing display of military vehicles?Amazing is the right word; extensive is another word to describe it! We were very surprised at the expansiveness and quality of the exhibits. I took 82 pictures in total and will try to pick out a few and post them in a thread.

Have you ever been to Louie Mueller's Barbecue in Taylor, Texas; not too far from Austin? They probably have the best Brisket I've ever eaten! [:p]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I missed it. Sweet [:p], really really sweet! [^]

What's cartridge is it chambered for, judging from the barrel it looks like it might put a bruise on your shoulder, even with the pad! [:0]

The wife wouldn't let me take any money to the Cabela's at Buda [:D] because their Gun Library tends to have some pretty nice Single Actions pass through there and I've helped pay their bill on a few occasions! [:p] I looked at a really nice Simi Deluxe Takedown Model 1894 while I was there and it's one I'm considering giving a new home; that is if I can convince my wife that life just wouldn't be the same without it! [8D][:D]

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice one Kimi![:p]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

Well, thank you too, my friend. [:)]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

Nice to see a well taken care of,.........and rare rifle like that!
    You are a lucky man.
    Thanks for the pics, and the info![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Nice to see a well taken care of,.........and rare rifle like that!
    You are a lucky man.
    Thanks for the pics, and the info![;)]

Thank you for the kind words Mark. Hopefully, it will remain in nice condition for generations to come for other people to see someday. And, you are most welcome to the pictures and information too.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kimi, thanks for the info on the rifle; I didn't want to show my ignorance by asking what the heck it really was! [:I] The bolt looked like a 1903 Springfield, but the entire rifle looked like an altered Model 70, so I was very confused. That, indeed, is a prize you have there; thanks for sharing! [8D][^]

Do you take it whitetail hunting very often[?] [:0] If I can drag a short barreled 44-40 Model 1873 Winchester to the deer woods, surely you can take that modern weapon! [;)][}:)]

As much as I would like to have the Model 1894, there is an 1896 vintage Colt Single Action that was shipped to Austin, Texas that I want more. It is considerably more than the Winchester and will probably vacate my discretionary gun budget for the year! Oh, decisions, decisions! [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    kimi, thanks for the info on the rifle; I didn't want to show my ignorance by asking what the heck it really was! [:I] The bolt looked like a 1903 Springfield, but the entire rifle looked like an altered Model 70, so I was very confused. That, indeed, is a prize you have there; thanks for sharing! [8D][^]

Do you take it whitetail hunting very often[?] [:0] If I can drag a short barreled 44-40 Model 1873 Winchester to the deer woods, surely you can take that modern weapon! [;)][}:)]

As much as I would like to have the Model 1894, there is an 1896 vintage Colt Single Action that was shipped to Austin, Texas that I want more. It is considerably more than the Winchester and will probably vacate my discretionary gun budget for the year! Oh, decisions, decisions! [:D]
    You only live once,.........go for it, if you want it.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You only live once,.........go for it, if you want it.[;)]Hey Marc, what a nice guy, thanks for helping me spend our daughter's inheritance! [:D][:D]

• Options
    edited November -1

You're welcome. [:D] I know the feeling, and 20 questions might have been a drawn out affair.[8D].

Naw, no draggin' it through the woods, I save that for my plain-jane. [:D] I do wish I had an 1873 though. Didn't you post a picture of your 1873 once? [:p]

Good luck on the Colt, and make sure you post some pictures for us too! [:)]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Didn't you post a picture of your 1873 once? [:p]

Good luck on the Colt, and make sure you post some pictures for us too! [:)]No, I do not believe the 1873 was posted, only a few of the Colts, 92's, 94's, 95's, and an 1885.

Thanks for the "good luck" on the Colt; it's just a matter of making that "buying decision". I visit it frequently just to drool (not on the gun) and handle a WF&Co Single Action that I'd like to have, but it is considerably more. While there I also visit a very nice engraved Henry, but that's just a "low rent romance"! If you are ever in this part of the country, I'll take you to a real gun store that isn't open to the public; just bring your own drool cup! [:p]

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'd like to visit that gun store, Old-Colts. It sounds like a real special place, so I'll keep your invitation in mind - thanks.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Feel free to visit any time, but the Winchesters and Colts at this place will really startle you!

Here is the Winchester Model 1873 Short Rifle I mentioned. The gun lettered with the 20 inch octagon barrel and full magazine and was shipped in 1891.

PB Picture removed.

Here is a picture of my "Sniper Rifle", actually "Deer Sniper Rifle". Of course it is the middle gun in the picture and is a 1956 vintage Model 70 Featherweight in 30 Government 06 and is the rifle I killed a deer with last year. Those are also my hunting Model 12's.

PB Picture removed.

• Options
    edited November -1
    I really need to get myself a short barreled 1873 rifle that will letter...[:p][:D]..in 1891. [:D]

Nice pieces Old-Colts, very nice. Is the Model 12 on the bottom a 16 or 20 gauge?
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I really need to get myself a short barreled 1873 rifle that will letter...[:p][:D]..in 1891. [:D]

Nice pieces Old-Colts, very nice. Is the Model 12 on the bottom a 16 or 20 gauge?All I can say is good luck finding an original Short Barrel 73, but according to the letter there were 5 other 73's in that shipment with the same specifications. [:p] I've seen very few correct and original short barrel Model 73's for sale. I paid $350 for that one in 1979. [:0]

Both of the Model 12's are 16 Gauge; I think some shadowing behind the barrel of the top gun makes it look like a bigger gauge. The top one is a 26 inch modified choke made in 1941 and the bottom one is a 28 inch full choke made in 1940.

• Options
    edited November -1

Nice pieces Old-Colts, very nice. Is the Model 12 on the bottom a 16 or 20 gauge?All I can say is good luck finding an original Short Barrel 73, but according to the letter there were 5 other 73's in that shipment with the same specifications. [:p] I've seen very few correct and original short barrel Model 73's for sale. I paid $350 for that one in 1979. [:0]

Both of the Model 12's are 16 Gauge; I think some shadowing behind the barrel of the top gun makes it look like a bigger gauge. The top one is a 26 inch modified choke made in 1941 and the bottom one is a 28 inch full choke made in 1940.

I don't ever recall seeing a 20 inch barrel 1873 rifle. I need to get me an 1873 to go with James Gordon's books regarding this model. [:D]

I figured the top one was a 26 inch barrel and the bottom was 28 inch. I only have one Model 12, and it is a 16 gauge too.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I remember from my early days of collecting some of the big Winchester collectors telling me that many of the short barrel 73 rifles went to Mexico, but I have no proof of that being factual. However, that might be the case since most of the ones I examined were really used up. My short barreled 73 had just aged and was in excellent condition with a great bore.

• Options
    edited November -1
    I remember from my early days of collecting some of the big Winchester collectors telling me that many of the short barrel 73 rifles went to Mexico, but I have no proof of that being factual. However, that might be the case since most of the ones I examined were really used up. My short barreled 73 had just aged and was in excellent condition with a great bore.

Probably not something you'd want to sell, huh? [:I]

Gordon shows about 4 20 inch barrel .44s in his personal survey that was made about the same time as yours. My books are packed away, but, I have his survey in front of me now.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Probably not something you'd want to sell, huh? [:I] [:D]

I did check with the owner of the "Gun Store" I mentioned and he has about 15 Model 1873's currently for sale, but the majority are really really and I do mean really high end guns that are way way and way out of my price range; your mileage may vary! [:0]

If you let me know about what you are looking for I am planning a trip over there either Saturday or early next week and I'll see if he has anything that might be of interest to you. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any Short Rifles, but does have several Carbines including a 15 inch Trapper Model ($$$$$) that is believed to be a Wells Fargo gun based on some markings and it has a museum letter and BATF clearance papers. Just send me an E-mail if you want me to take notes; I believe you still have my E-mail address.