In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

338 to 338 Rum

ff.hogueff.hogue Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless w/Boss in 338. i was told by the dealer i got it thru that it could be easily converted to a 338 RUM with a new magazine ($35) and a new barrel. i am looking for a Gunsmith that is specalized in the Model 70 Receiver. I am building this as a Elk Gun, not a bench shooter, but i want it to be EXTREMELY accurate, but also as LIGHT as possible. I Need a Gunsmith who can true the receiver and install the new barrel, True my bolt, Lighten my bolt/receiver in ANY way possible, and teflon coat the bolt, receiver, and pretty much anything else that can be coated. i want it durable and accurate. Any good gunsmiths in the CA area or surrounding areas? Thanks for the help
-Thomas

Comments

• Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why? .338 is an elk gun.
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with FEENIX.The 338 winmag can kill elk farther out than honest hunters say they can shoot.You have more than enough gun and M70's are no slouch when it comes to accuracy.You have a boss so you can tailor yor rifle to any load.Put a top notch scope on it,shoot it until comfortable,and save a lot in ammo costs .I personaly like the 270 win for elk and have shot them for a little over 25 yrs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats what i said. its going to be used as a elk gun. i just want a bad a** elk gun and figured that someone knew of a decent gunsmith that had reasonable rates to recommend.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,974 ******
    edited November -1
    just to cover the bases, your rifle barrel can be rechambered to .338rum, no need for a new barrel.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually you might want to check out a couple things before you have your rifle rebarreled, or rechambered. Mainly first being, that the 338 Winchester can be built, and function on the standard length action. If your current 70 Classic is built on this standard length action, switching to a RUM it will render it a single shot, as the RUM is on the 375 H&H case length.

Secondly being that the RUM will give you 200 FPS more average velocity at best, unless you put a 28 or 30 inch barrel on it. It will have a correspondingly amount of more recoil too. If you can handle repeated recoil without developing a flinch, and put your bullet where it needs to go, then there is no such thing as too much gun. However, there is such a thing as too much gun for one to be comfortable with, and shoot well.

Best

EDIT:

You might want to try Christensen Arms if you want a light weight rifle. I believe they will custom build on SAKO, Browning, Remington or Winchester actons. They will do all the things you mention, and with their premium carbon fiber barrels are extremely light.
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK if you insist Griner Gunworks in Bloomfield NM 505-632-9712.His rates are reasonable and Ken does top notch work,just don't get in a hurry
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ff.hogue
    Thats what i said. its going to be used as a elk gun. i just want a bad a** elk gun and figured that someone knew of a decent gunsmith that had reasonable rates to recommend.

IMO wanting a bada$$ gun & reasonable rates don't necessarily go hand in hand. Joe Schmoe's Gun Shop might be cheap-but is that really what you want with what you are wanting to do--you say you want to shave off a bunch of weight from the receiver(which might reduce strength)-did you consider just getting a Remington 700 in .338 RUM to begin with or are you set in stone owning a Model 70? BTW with the exception of the 1 regular production offering Model 700 in .338RUM you can pay $2800 for a custom 700 in Remingtons custom shop[:0]-which kinda shows me the round isn't all that popular(they make about 24 different types of Model 700's)--which in turn means ammo is expensive and harder to find in some places--if you reload then it's probably no big deal. For a 200fps difference I agree with the other posters--money would be better spent on buying ammo and a top quality scope. But if you have your heart and wallet set on having a single shot .338RUM go for it-it's only money[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    it looks like im going to have Montana Rifle Co build me the gun im wanting. easier to do it that way. thanks for the info
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The montana 1999 action are very,very good. I have used them and am bulding a rifle for a customer using that action. I have done the conversion of a classic mod 70 from 300 win mag to 300 RUM. No problems.Your classic can be converted to the 338 RUM.