In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

INFORMATION ON OLD PISTOL

johndeere69johndeere69 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
I HAVE A SINGLE SHOT PISTOL AND THIS IS ON THE BARRELL,GERMANIA WAFFENWERK A.G. ZELLA-MEHLIS *ANSCHUTZ*.IT IS A SINGLE SHOT AND BREAKS OPEN LIKE A SINGLE SHOT SHOTGUN.I GUESSING THE CALIBER IS A 4 TO 4 1/2 MM.I HAVE THE PISTOL LISTED ON GUNBROKERS,ITEM NO.151894498 SO ANYONE CAN SEE THE PICTURES.ANY INFORMATION ON IT WOULD BE APPREICATED.THANK YOU.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151894498

The pistol would date to probably the 1920's because of the barrel address. Germania Waffenwerk was used as a Trade Name by the firm of J.G. Anschutz. It is a famous manufacturer of high quality firearms and is still in business. The grip and forend doesn't look original to me though, it might be a replacement. More then likely it's chambered for the .22 rimfire cartridge.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, it is a .22; one of a multitude of single shot European target pistols of the years between the wars. They did not go in for the timed and rapid fire that made a revolver or auto a necessity to the NRA shooter.

This one looks like the pistol sold here by Stoeger's as the Champion Model A, except it lacks the adjustable sights of the export model. It was $42.50 in 1939 when a Colt Woodsman Match Target was $41.50. No doubt a lot of tariff and duty in that, but no way a cheap gun. Less than half the price of a real free pistol, though.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello This is a pistol in the FREE PISTOL style. Used in both formal and informal PUB. matches . While it is made by a good builder it is not the highest grade of free pistol, Such as used in olympic shooting . Because of this I think you are very shall we say optimisticin your starting price.