In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What to buy? Beretta or Kimber?

TaipanTaipan Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I've got a question for any one willing to listen. I'm going to be turning 21 shortly and plan to exercise my ability to buy a handgun. I'm just not sure what to get. I've done a lot of shooting with shotguns and rifles, but I'm some what new to pistols. I've done some research on different products and have narrowed it down to a stainless steal Kimber pro carry or a stainless steal Beretta 92fs. I'm not really buying this for self-defence or I would definately go with the 45. I did find the Beretta more comfortable in my hand than the Kimber, but not to a large degree. I've found pros and cons with both. I just wanted to see what the "group" thought on the subject. Any comments would be helpful. I've lost sleep thinking about this. Help!

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I own them both, and they are totally different guns. Break it down to "carrying" and "shooting", then make a list of pro's and con's of each gun. I like the Beretta's double action and high capacity mags. I like the slimness and light weight of the Kimber's, as well as the .45 cartridge, but I don't like the single action only. I prefer the larger caliber, but hate the lower capacity. You might want to look at a Para-Ordnance 14.45. High capacity .45 with light weight and double action trigger. Or, look at the Beretta 96. Just like the 92 except in .40 S&W.It's all personal prefrences, and YOU have to make the call. The other thing to consider? Save and get them both. You probably will in the end anyway!Let us know what you decide.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get what feels best in your hand and points naturally. They're both great guns.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the Kimber. I find the Pro Carry preforms great for a reduced size .45. I don't care for the DA trigger on the Beretta.-Marcus
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    You have two decisions here. 1. .45 or 9mm. 2. single or double action. If not for self defense then target? Which is the #1 big bore target round in the US today? Ask the right questions and you will get the right answer. My 2 cents