In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage .22 Mod 29B ?'s

bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
edited November 2004 in Ask the Experts
Last spring I acquired a Savage model 29A in very nice condition, the round barrel which should be post-war per the blue book, but with nicely checkered stock and slide handle which indicated pre-war. Kind of assumed that when they resumed production they used up remaining parts like Winchester used to do.

Yesterday at a show I saw a Model 29B in probably fine to excellent condition and reasonably priced. The stock was plain but the slide handle had a flat bottom and 17 grooves around it, 16 ahead of the screw and 1 behind, like a picture in Modern Gun Values. The barrel, marked on top just left of the rear sight, read Savage Arms of Chicopee, Mass.

However, this rifle did not have a serial number anywhere on it. It was a takedown but I did not ask the seller to strip it down. My 29A has the number on the bottom tang. I haven't been able to find any mention of a model 29B in my references.

I assume it really is a Savage model 29B in .22 S,L,LR. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? A Savage forum? Reference book on Savage .22's.?

Thanks in advance, Bob

Comments

• Options
    pactpact Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 29b was produced from the mid 50's till the end of production. The 29b is basically the same as the 29a. Savage made some manufacturing changes to cut down on cost. Some 29b had a grove on the receiver for a scope. The tang screws for a peep sight were eliminated.It also had the long fore arm as you noted, The serial nuber should be on the front of the receiver under the mag tube. For a while Savage used a Hyroglephic type serial number.

The pre war post war stuff is just a guestamate. Savage did not keep good records of the 29. I have seen guns like your. Your could have had the barrel changed also. Who knows for sure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Pact, I appreciate your response. I see one now on GB, came in yesterday, looks just like it. I didn't look in that particular spot assuming the serial would be 6-7 alphanumerics. Sounds like it might be like the Remington barrel dates.

I see another model 29A on GB with checkered stock and slide handle but with a round barrel. Fourth one that I have seen since last spring. What prompted my comment is I have a Winchester model 62A which is factory tapped for a tang sight and has a model 62 barrel. Its serial number is right in the middle of the transition range between model numbers. Funny thing is, a week after I acquired it, I saw another one of similar construction....interesting objects.

Regards, Bob
  • Options
    pactpact Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob

I collect pump 22s. I have a Savage 29a just like yours. Checkered wood. serial#554xx.

Most but not all 62a's tangs were taped for a sight. After about serial number 100,000 62a's and 62's had tHE same barrel markings. This is the most common marking.

MADE IN NEW HAVEN. CONN--WINCHESTER-MODEL 62-
    --U.S. OF AMERICA
    TRADE MARK-.22S.L.ORL.R.-

The more I look at these pumps the more confused I get. You are right no Gun company just through away old parts. They used the parts on hand until they ran out. I have seen this in Savage 1903's to 1914's. 29's to 29a's etc.

Roger
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Savage 29A is in the 378xxx number range. I think that model 29B might be around next time we attend a show up in that area. He gave me the impression that it wasn't moving very fast. Would add another dimension to the collection.

My older 62A Winnie has the model and caliber markings on the left side of the barrel which reflect the 62 pattern. Name, etc. are on the right side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver and include a 'patents pending' stamp. 62A's according to books did not have any pending patents. Serial number is in the 113xxx range. The other one I saw was 108xxx and lives about 40 miles away. They were made about 2 months apart. Wonder what the odds are of seeing both in the same area after that period of time? Guess that's part of the fun in collecting.

Nice 'talking' to you.

Regards, Bob