In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

disassembly problem with colt commander

lfi guylfi guy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
While trying to swap grip safeties on a series 70 Commander, the manual safety got jammed in the frame. It looks like the sear is blocking rotation of the safety. I can't remove the safety lever from the frame. Any ideas on how to free it?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The hammer has to be a full cock to remove the safety on 1911 Type pistols. Please be aware that the safety has to be fitted to the gun any time you do a trigger job or replace parts on the fire control system you stand the chance of having a safety that does not work properly and could hurt or kill someone . "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:(] That's been done, but still stuck in the frame. One clue, with the hammer back to full cock, the safety still won't rotate up.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello take the slide off then let the hammer down now take the mainspring pin out and slide the main spring down this may allow you to remove the 3 leaf spring . remove the grips and now you may be able to see what the safety is hanging on to prevent it from rotating for removal.you may also be able to push the sear pin out or hammer pi but most likely these will be held in by the safety .in other words take as much out of the frame and take as many springs out as possible then you may be able to pivot safety. Cheers Karl.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I found it. The slide won't go back over the hammer. The the 'tail' or tang on the grip safety is too high. If I'm correct, since the hammer can't rotate back enough, the sear in turn, can't move enough to get out of the way of the projection on the safety. I'm grinding the tang back so the slide can move over the hammer. I'm surprised I was able to get the safety back in with the damned grip safety. Oh, well. [8]
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    IT SOUNDS TO ME THAT YOU NEED TO HAVE SOMEONE FIT THE GRIP SAFETY PROPERLY, IF IT WORKED OK BEFORE.