In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington XP-100R vs Weatherby Mark V Pistol

asirvioasirvio Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'm considering going to a bolt action pistol for deer hunting and I've been watching the auction sites and shows. I've got it narrowed down to the Remington XP-100R in .35 Rem or The Weatherby Mark V Pistol in .308 Win. I really like the .308 for deer hunting and the Weatherby is a pretty sweet looking gun although I haven't been able to see one up close due to their rarity. I have located one out of state though. The XP is about $525.00 NIB with a grey kevlar stock and the Mark is $825.00 NIB with a laminated wood stock and stainless fluted barrel. Both guns seem to be out of production at this time...I don't think Remington ever offered the XP-100R in .308 ??? What do you guys think ? Oh yea...I have seen the Savage Stryker in .308 but I don't think I like it...Not sure...

"If god didn't want man to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat".....Ted Nugent

Comments

• Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are great guns. I favor the Weatherby due to it's longer fluted barrel, it's better safety system, and gas release.

Would also take the .308. Have one in 7mm-08. Love it.

Weatherby's are discontinued, value is going up, and will stay up.
    But you can't go wrong either way.

Happy Bullet Holes!

Edited by - Guns & Glass on 06/30/2002 08:17:38
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will take the Remington it shoots as well and if you ask me the Weatherby is over priced.

Rugster
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you checked out the new Savage Striker with camo synthetic stock, stainless barrel/action/muzzle brake? It comes in 7mm-08 and also 300 WSM. Check out the most recent issue of G&A for a complete article.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not the TC Encore pistol? TC holds the pistol world record, and switching calibers is simple, just pop off one barrel and drop on another.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Remington XP!! You can shoot it and if you don't like it you've got a heck of an action to use to build your "dream rifle" with!! The XP action is a classic and sought after action to build on. You want a deer killing machine? XP in 7mmBR!!! I know where one is that can be had! The only reason this one can be had is because I have 2 of them and "Miss Sarah the little GHD" says she wants a rifle now!!! If interested charliemill@earthlink.net GHD