In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 510-511-512 bolt disassembly?

stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'd like to strip and clean the bolt on my 511 Scoremaster, but I need some pointers.
Starting at square 1.
Figured the experts could probably do it with their eyes closed while walking backwards.

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is how it is done for the Remington 513T. The parts look very similar to those for the 511 but the book does not give instructions for the 511.

To disassemble:

Uncock bolt to remove tension on main spring, drive out bolt sleeve pin, being careful to hold bolt sleeve against tension of main string to prevent loss of parts.

Remove bolt sleeve, safety indicator, main spring and main spring plunger, drive out firing pin cam pin and remove bolt handle assembly, remove firing pin through rear of bolt.

Drive out extractor pins from bottom to top and remove extractors, then remove extractor spring from cross hole in bolt between the two extractors.

To Reassemble:

Place right extractor (having straight edge hook) into slot in right side of bolt, drive in extractor pin from top, place extractor spring in cross hole in bolt between extractors, place left extractor (having angle edge hook) into slot in left side of bolt, compress spring, align holes and drive in extractor pin from top.
    Place firing pin into bolt from rear entering firing pin point into firing pin hole in front of bolt and slide into bolt. Place bolt handle over bolt with lug on cam forward and handle on right side. Assemble cam pin through cocking cam of bolt handle and firing pin.

Place main spring follower into bolt with small end forward, place main spring into bolt sleeve and small end of safety indicator into main spring. With bolt handle in downward position so that cam pin is forward, place large end of safety indicator into bolt against slotted end of main spring follower, align slot in main spring follower with small hole in end of bolt, compress main spring by pushing bolt sleeve on rear end of bolt, align holes and drive in bolt sleeve pin.

This was extracted from Brownell's Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms, Parts and Assembly.

I have owned a Remington 511 for nearly 60 years and have never felt the need to disassemble the bolt. After reading this instruction I would hesitate to try. Good luck.
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Herschel,
    Thanks for all the effort you invested in answering my querie, but I think I'll take your good advice.[:I]

quote:I have owned a Remington 511 for nearly 60 years and have never felt the need to disassemble the bolt. After reading this instruction I would hesitate to try. Good luck.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    The 511 and 513 bolts come apart the same. It isn't nearly as hard as the book makes it sound.

The only reason I would take one apart was if I was getting light primer hits.
  • Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The process Mr. Herschel posted sounds kinda overwhelming when read through but it's not that complicated a mechanism. A good bench-block and pin punches make it a do-able task. Also, like he said, rarely is it necessary unless it is really gummed up. A can of gunscrubber or the cheaper way out, brake cleaner, usually will reach the needed to be cleaned areas; in the receiver too.
  • Options
    jcfontanjcfontan Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just changed out a handle assembly - i have a 513T and used an old 511 for parts - the 513 spring is bigger/longer other than that it's pretty easy