In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Semi-Auto Thoughts?

Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=92753917

What's your experience/opinion on the Remington Semi-auto carbines? I've been looking at the 7400 and 742 models. Like the 22" barrels for increased long range (200 - 300 yards) accuracy. Also, .308 or 30-06? Which one better for heavy game (300lbs or so)?

Yep, I've ditched my desire to have a pistol/rifle combination using the same ammo. Smarter folks than me prevailed.

Comments

• Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are not quality guns. I know that someone will come along and say they have had one for years and they get a deer with it every year, and for shooting once a year it's maybe ok. The 742/7400 line of guns have been causing problems for gunsmiths for years. The bolt often will rub on the inside of the receiver and actually wear grooves in it. The extractors break and they are a PITA to change. I know the local pawn shop gives $50 for them, and that's if it has a scope on it. I would save up for a Browning BAR or the Winchester Auto if you must have an auto rifle. If you don't care, look at the bolt guns made by Savage, CZ or Tikka. They are all great guns with very few headaches.
  • Options
    the jiggerthe jigger Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Mooseyard has called the shot. For ranges of 200 to 300 yards and beyond you will be much better served with a bolt gun. IMHO the most rifle for the money is Savage(Stevens 200). I have 5 Savage & Stevens rifles and all are at least MOA. some are better.
    GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience with the 742 has been nothing but exceptional. If I was to say which rifle was poor quality, it would be the BAR. A good friend of mine had a BAR that jammed all the time, he took it to numerous gunsmiths for years but was unable to fix the problems. He finally traded it for a Browning A-bolt.

I agree a bolt gun would be a better choice but a semi-auto will suit your needs out to 400 yards if you practice diligently with it.

Between the two cartridges, I would choose the 30.06 as it will have more energy for the larger game you desire.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't do it, is all I have to contribute to. They are a POS, and have to be cleaned every time it gets damp, or they won't function. There is nothing worse than a semi-auto that does not function the way it should.

EDIT:
    Not hard to beat, just the competition is not advertised as well, and are more expensive slightly. They work well for a few hundred rounds as long as they are kept clean, untill they wear out.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Advise here is free but they should pay you to read all the bad advice. I've shot the same 742 BDL in 06 for 25 years and a minimum of 50 deer are no more. Never a jam groups well and Rem sold hundred's of thousands of them I bet. If you want a semi they are tough to beat

I've put over 1000 thru mine
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you considered the pump action Remington 7600 series. These are closely akin to the Rem pump shotguns which are lengendary for speed of follow up and reliability. They won't be quite as fast as the semi auto, but will be faster then a bolt action. I've been thinking about getting a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen (35-06) which is a cartridge that will put 300lb game down with authority. After the 35 Whelen I'd go for the 30-06 with a heavy 180g or better slug. Heavy for caliber bullets retain more down range energy, so while they don't fly as fast as less heavy bullets they will get there. Their trajectory will just look kinda like a rainbow. But, if you practice you should have no problem with the type of ranges you are talking about.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7400 is an updated design from the 742. The 7400's can break an extractor(as any semi auto will) if you do not keep the chamber clean. I've had my 7400 since 1987. Bought it new and have shot thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup of any kind. It will print better groups thatn my Browning BAR.

Go figure.

I personally like the 7400 and it has served me well.[:D]
  • Options
    muttermutter Member Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are correct in their determination that the 7000 Remington series are not really well built guns. Actually they appear, feel, and operate cheaply.

However, they will hit the mark.

Junk? Yes, but deadly junk!

Most of the posters appear to lack insight on the semi auto long range question. I Know a bolt is better for exact bullet placement; but, isn't camp perry a good bit of evidence to the semi auto's capabilities?

Just a thought.
  • Options
    MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a 7400 a few years back. She jams up every so often if I don't keep her clean. But this is probably true for any semi-auto firearm. If its a semi your looking for the 7400 is a good choice. Its light to carry and reasonably priced compared to the $700+ you'll pay for another brand. For the money, its the best semi-auto out there. Mine is deadly accurate(.270win). I'm a fan of the 308 for whitetail, but for an all around caliber that can take groundhog to grizzly, you cant beat the old 30-06[;)]
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been huntin' with a 742 for 30+ years and have NEVER had a jam or malfunction. The rifle sits in the safe now and my $150 pawnshop special carbine gets the honors nowadays.
    A chamber brush is a must have for this rifle. All the problems I've seen in others have to do with dirty or rusty chambers. Take the forearm off once a year and clean the gas/slide mechanism.
    I hunt on average 30+ days a year in a swamp, traveling by bote, slogging thru mud, walking in river silt, and hunting in some of the foulest weather. I have the utmost confidence in my Remington semi-auto. They have proven themselves time and time again.
    And, I'm not OCD about keeping my rifle clean. It'll go almost all season without a thourough cleaning. Just spray a little WD-40 on a rag and wipe it down.
    I laugh when someone belittles down my choice of rifle and they are spending an inordinate amount of money on the latest wundergun. Especially when they have a mouthful of venison that the Remington helped put on the table.