In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning 9MM

scpaisleyscpaisley Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at a Browning high Power 9mm ser number is over 200000
it has like a shell on the barel a shild with sords in it, has a PV on the barow a w on the frame and barow, it was made in Belgum (spelling?) by Browing in very good condishion I wanted to know about if you could tell me anything close to the value? thanks for your help blkfrk

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine has a old Browning FN 9mm pistol and I was wondering if there was a way to tell what year and what the value of it is. It is matching SN. it does have a rear adjustable site as well. Appreciate the help!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be best if you could post quality photos and give us at least a partial serial number.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The key Here is your word "OLD" the browning model 1935 has been made from before WW II until current made pistols The WW II vintage pistols were both fixed sight model and tangent sight model If military marked they are highly collectible in original very good or better condition many were cut for shoulder stock. one way of telling age is the extractor some were internal and later models external. Pictures are a must or good description of each and every mark and letter serial numbers were repeated during the military years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will try to get some pics up here soon. Here's what I do know. It is marked Browning FN 9MM Inglis, Canada, MKI* (or MK1*). The SN is 4CHXXXX, which makes me think it was part of the Chinese contract somewhere pre 1946 range since the '46-'47 Chinese contract models were 5CHXXXX. The SN does match all three spots as well. It is in good working order, bluing is really the only issue with it. The owner didn't know what he had so he wasn't as concerend with the bluing, but the original grips are on it as well. It does have tangent site and the slot for the wood stock to slide on. I will try to get some pics up soon. It has a marking on te right side, on the slide and just above the trigger, of what looks like two flags crossed with a letter or symble in the middle that I cannot make out real well. Bad eye site haha. Thanks for the help! Scott
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The crossed flags are a typical marking found on Inglis HP pistols.
  • Options
    dogtown tomdogtown tom Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scpaisley
    I will try to get some pics up here soon. Here's what I do know. It is marked Browning FN 9MM Inglis, Canada, MKI* (or MK1*). The SN is 4CHXXXX, which makes me think it was part of the Chinese contract somewhere pre 1946 range since the '46-'47 Chinese contract models were 5CHXXXX. The SN does match all three spots as well. It is in good working order, bluing is really the only issue with it. The owner didn't know what he had so he wasn't as concerend with the bluing, but the original grips are on it as well. It does have tangent site and the slot for the wood stock to slide on. I will try to get some pics up soon. It has a marking on te right side, on the slide and just above the trigger, of what looks like two flags crossed with a letter or symble in the middle that I cannot make out real well. Bad eye site haha. Thanks for the help! Scott

Bluing won't be an issue because the Inglis HP's were parkerized, not blued. You can tell if yours has the original finish if the serial numbers are still "in the white". The serial numbers were etched after the gun was parkerized.

***"In the white" means the serial numbers will show as bare metal. The Inglis was first parkerized, then the serial numbers were inscribed. If the numbers are the same color as the finish- it's been refinished (which is very common).

Absolutely pristine examples of the Inglis HP will have a maple leaf decal on the front of the gripstrap.

The MK1* tangent sighted Inglis HP's are legal to attach an original wood stock holster without having to buy an SBR tax stamp. The fixed sight Inglis (even with a stock slot) don't get that free ride.

Value, as always depends on condition and your market. If you do a search on the auction side for "Inglis" and choose "completed auctions" you'll see what they are actually selling for.

I bought my tangent sighted Inglis here on GB a few years ago for about $500. Mine had been reparked at some point. Understand that the general quality of finish on these wartime production HP's is a bit rough, even on the best examples.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for the info. I haven't had time to get any pics of it, we had a family emergency recently that has left us scrambling.

As for the SN being "in white" I'm not sure what you mean other than it being actually white in color. I do know its stamped or looks stamped anyway to me.

I'll try to post pics sometime soon if I can get to it with everything else going on.