In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone know

ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
what all these numbers mean, in this auction headline? [:)]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131682814

Comments

• Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen people add other model numbers to their auction title to increase the viewing on searches. If you search for any of those model numbers listed in the title, that auction will come up.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Gun Broker claims that they have a policy against this practice, but there are so many examples of abuse that it is a joke. Another common one are jokers who list their rifle as an AR-15, FAL, 91,93, M1A, AK-47...Just to draw in more views. People doing this as well as those with reserve actions who ahve starting bids at one cent are huge time wasters.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATF
    what all these numbers mean, in this auction headline? [:)]

quote:SMITH WESSON PERFECTED MODEL 38 .38 34 36 63 49 51

Mark and TXlawdog have this right.

The extra numbers are just a way of "spamming" the search function so that the auction listing will turn up in more searches.

In this particular case anyone searching for a Smith model 36 or 63 (for example) will also turn up this auction.

Even though the practice is prohibited, I can see doing this legitimately in some listings, particularly with "clone" type products where a person interested in the original might also be interested in the "clone".

For example, even though a Bushmaster rifle isn't technically an AR-15, it often goes by that name, and its close enough that its probably fair to include the term AR-15 in the auction title, to attract potentially legitimate buying interest.

But in this particular case, the cross-listing is particularly obnoxious since nobody who is in the market for a Smith 36, 63 (etc) would likely bid on this one, and vice-versa. They have nothing to do with one another.

Further, my view of listings like this is that they take away from the seller's credibility. If the seller is willing to take these sorts of liberties in listing their auction, who knows where else they're trying to shade the truth or bend the rules.

In terms of reserve auctions that start at one cent, I don't really have any problem with that. I make my best offer, and if it doesn't meet the reserve then no skin off my nose. In practice, it almost never does, and I find that most of the ones listing guns this way aren't all that interested in selling them anyway. (People who are serious about selling either hold true auctions starting at one cent, or list a specific asking price).

If I'm *really* interested, I may ask the seller to disclose the reserve price in an email. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. But if not, again, no problem.

What I find really weird, is people who disclose the reserve price in the auction! What's up with that? The whole point of a reserve price is that its supposed to be secret. If you are going to share it, you might as well just start the auction at that price.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not bid on anything that guy has for sale, not so much for his violation of listing guidelines, which he clearly violated, but his rantings.

If he's not going to sell to Calif, then the single line beginning with "Attention" would suffice.

He could have omitted the two lengthy paragraphs after that about his political views of the laws in Calif and the people who live here. His "I dont believe" this or that crap is a waste of space.

If he just says no sales of guns or parts to Calif I'll know to pass on looking at any of his auctions.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    While I dont list guns other then what what I am actually selling I will run it a few way so different searches will pull it up.

Say you are selling a Taurus PT1911AR I would put that in the title but would probably also put 1911 and .45 or 45 in there too. I would NOT put things like Kimber, Colt, ect to try and get extra hits.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    I think I'm going over to the auction side and open a "Customer Support" issue. I'd like to see the auction heading, etc. (all except the item description) to be on a drop-down menu!

Think about it..sellers will then be limited to list only what they have to sell! Best, Joe