In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser or Remington 700 action??

Binary89Binary89 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
Which is better a Remington or a mauser action , plus where can i find them?

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends upon what you are planning to do. If I were building a sporting rifle, I would go with the 700. Brownells has them, but they must go through your ffl. If I were looking to convert a military rifle then I would go with a Mauser.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I got a Rem721 custom with a 6mm barrel, I'm building another 6mm on a new CZ 98 action and a Shilen barrel. I'll be testing them next week, but if both are in good condition, they should perform to degree where you wouldn't know the difference. However, the 700 is easier to set a custom trigger on IMO.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gotta go with the classic Mauser..CZ is great!!

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    They are both better- it just depends on what you want your rifle to be better at.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I'm truly a Mauser man...You can get Parts in just about any place in the World..Not knocking Remington or Ruger or Weatherby or any other maker...But if You're Hunting in Africa or Australia. Alaska or Peru...You'll always find Mauser Parts and Pieces...To Me thats a Plus....My Considered Opinion...........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The number one, non-custom action on the benchrest circuit is the 700rem. Aftermarket parts are plentiful and good gunsmiths abound. The controlled round feed of the mauser action makes long seated rounds a tough road. Now,..as capt kirk has stated,..for a dangerous game rifle or african plains gun,..I would go controlled feed (pre 64 win, ruger, mauser, etc) Purpose dictates design.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mauser actions have there good points and so do R. I have built several rifles out of each. If you like to do your own work a mauser military action is the way to go. There is a lot of work to convert a military mauser over to a sporter rifle.
    Remingtons have all the little things done to the actions and all you have to do is put a barrel in them. Well there is more to it than that. It is all in what you want to do and how much work you are willing to put into the action.

Hornet
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said before, it depends on what you want to build. If you want a tack driving small varmint rifle then go with the Rem 700. If you want a larger bore rifle for alaskan brown bear, grizly and game that may get uppity, I would want the Mauser 98 controled round feed. They both meet in the middle and work on middlen game about as well. The big plus of the M98 is that you can pick up a good quality surplus action for usually a lot less then a rem 700 action. Most good rifle smiths will want to do a bunch of work on both actions before turing it into a custom rifle, so cost in the end may be a wash. A lot of it will depend on what you want and who is doing the work. I think that I've seen that Rem 700 actions can be had from Brownells. Commercial and surplus Mauser actions can be had every where. Like the Capt I'm hard core Mauser as far as my bolt action wants.
  • Options
    STRIPPER-TIPPERSTRIPPER-TIPPER Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are doing the work yourself the Mauser is the way to go. The rear of the Mauser barrel is flat making it easier to fit to the action. The Remington requires a machining operation or the purchase of a special reamer. The recoil lug is a separate piece on the Remington ,and can be a pain to line up when screwing the barrel down unless you have the tool to keep it straight. I also like the Mauser bolt design over the Remington.
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to be a master custom rifle maker here where I live. If you didn't specify which action you wanted, he used the Remington 700. Some of the "old timers" might remember the name Russell Womack. Built great guns.

I had him headspace a barrel for me on a Mauser 98 action, and when I asked him what he thought of the Mauser actions, he said that they were really good, and that a lot of rifles he had built were on that action, but he preferred Remingtons.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"