In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm moon clips

davekrdavekr Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Is it possible to shoot 9mm through any S&W .38 revolver if the moon clips fit ?

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if the question is any S&W .38 special revolver...the answer is no.
  • Options
    davekrdavekr Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

What about a new S&W Revolver ?
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smith made the model 940 from 1991 to 98. It was a 9mm revolver that used moon clips, but good luck finding one.

I was talking to Jerry Miculek at the International Revolver Championship a few weeks ago. He told me that he has suggested to S&W more than once to make an 8 shot "N" frame 9mm for revolver competitors, but no luck yet.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by davekr
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

What about a new S&W Revolver ?

No, didn't work then, doesn't work now. Now Ruger made some 9mm Speed Six guns and I think Taurus makes a 9mm snubbie.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    distance between cyl and frame is the issue. guns designed for 9mm with moon must have space for the loaded moon to close in cyl.
    bottom line, only shoot bullets out of the guns it was designed for.

if you dont, youre breaking the basic rules to gun safety and are treading out on thin ice. be warned.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by davekr
    Is it possible to shoot 9mm through any S&W .38 revolver if the moon clips fit ?

Lets be clear here.

Do you mean a modern Smith and Wesson manufactured .38 SPECIAL revolver, or do you mean an older revolver chambered for the (different) cartridge ".38S&W"?

I don't think you'd be able to get any moon-clipped 9mm to actually fit in a modern Smith and Wesson .38/357 revolver, so the question is moot.

If this is what you are after, it actually *IS* possible to have a .38/.357 Smith revolver professionally converted to take 9mm luger with clips, but that is somewhat expensive, and a little different than what you are asking.

As already mentioned, Smith and Wesson used to make 9mm revolvers, but only for a short time, and they are somewhat rare and relatively expensive. These revolvers had other drawbacks such as hard extraction, etc. Ruger and Taurus also had convertible revolvers that could take .38 or 9mm with different cylinders.

Personally speaking, I'd love to have a good design Smith revolver in 9mm, and I'd buy one if Smith ever put out a good new one in 9mm (that's J, L, OR N frame). As to why they don't/won't, sales were poor the last time they tried this, and it probably comes down to low anticipated demand.

As to the second thing. . .even if you could get a 9mm moonclip to fit in a .38SW revolver, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT FIRING IT!

.38 S&W is an older low-pressure originally black powder round, loaded to a spec of 14,500 CUP. In contrast, 9mm luger is a modern smokeless powder designed round loaded to a max standard pressure of 35,000 CUP. . .that's the same working pressure as a .357 magnum.

As you can imagine, the 9mm luger is FAR more powerful, and there is a VERY GOOD chance that if you tried to fire a 9mm luger in an older .38SW caliber revolver the gun would explode in your hand, potentially causing severe injury to yourself and what's around you.

In fact Charter Arms a while back built a "pitbull" revolver to handle a special rimmed 9mm-luger like cartridge called the "9mm Federal". Great concept, but the problem was that the rimmed 9mm cartridge could fit in older .38SW revolver, potentially causing the problem described above.

So the cartridge, and then guns were quickly discontinued. Now 9mm Federal cartridges are virtually impossible to find, and highly expensive, though I understand it is possible to recreate them from .38SW brass relatively easily.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is possible to rechamber a modern .38 Special to 9mm Para and cut a clearance on the cylinder face to accept the moon clips. It is safe enough that there are several gunsmiths willing to do so. The cost at Pinnacle is from $225 to $275 depending on the model of gun; plus the cost of a supply of clips. The change is irreversible, it is not recommended to shoot Specials in a gun that has been altered to 9mm.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bean, maybe I should list my rimmed 9 ammo on GB. I didn't know it was that rare.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    bean, maybe I should list my rimmed 9 ammo on GB. I didn't know it was that rare.

Do you mean 9mm Federal? That's the only 9mm that I've ever heard of with a rim. [:)]
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I have seen someone shoot 38 super through a 357 mag gun, but dont recommend it and there is really no cost savings doing so.