In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Jeweled action (bolt)

orooro Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I'm sure you guys have seen a bolt on a custom rifle that has "swirls" on the bolt? Thats about the best way I can ecplain in it.Does anyone know how that is done? Thanks,Oro

Comments

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very fine emery cloth on the end of an arbor, then chucked up in a mill or drill press...gently put pressure and release, move material you are jeweling about 1/2 the diameter of the arbor so the swirls overlap and repeat the process over and over. Practice on scrap before attempting this on a bolt.
  • Options
    orooro Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks,I'll give it a try.I was hoping it was just dipping a round sponge in a cemical........ But I'll still try it.Thanks again.Oro
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ORO :I have been jeweling bolts for years and tried several methods and products.The best way Ive found is using the small end brushes ( 1/8 ) in. Available from the Dremel tool Co. or Brownells. You will need the B- Square Co. jeweling fixture to hold the bolt while you work.you put heat shrink tubing on the end of the brush bristles and up the shaft of thebrush 1/2 in leave about 1/16 in of the bristle sticking out on the end, this keeps it from flaring out as it spins.You coat the stripped bolt with very fine grinding compound,install it in the fixture then using adrill press with a fence or guide installed to slide the base of the fixture along (this keeps a straight line),start on the bottom side of the bolt. Bring the spinning brush in contact with the coated surface , you dont use alot of pressure , let it spin one spot about 7 or 8 seconds then slide the base a half circle and spin another spot do this the length of the section you want jeweled . you will have a straight line of spots overlapping 1/2 a spot I work moving from rt to left.Next rotate it 1/2 a spot turning it toward you.Do the next row overlapping the first row .Let it spin 7 or 8 seconds each dot . keep going til you get all the way around, most bolts take about 18 to 19 rows. It is time consuming and monotonous I usually go about 30 minutes then quit for awhile.It takes some practice the first few times ,If you mess up you can polish off what youve done and start over. Brownells sells a starter kit that has the brushes ,compound etc in it. the Bsquare fixture costs about 50 bucks but you cant do it right with out it .IF you try it, When you finish gently wash off the compound in a pan of solvent ,if you try to rub it off you you damage the job by rubbing the grinding compound and scratching your hard work. Any problems come up Email me and I will try to help.Good luck.DSC