In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 for $10 a box, good deal or not?

beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
One of the chain stores near me is currently offering a sale on production 55 grain brass cased Remington .223 ammo for $10 a box.

I haven't priced this stuff in a while, but this does seem pretty steep.

Is $0.50 a round actually the going price right now?

Should I buy it?

Edit: Natchez offers the same for $9 a box, though they appear to be entirely sold out.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RT23711&src=sim

Comments

• Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    .50/rd is kinda on the high end of what I've seen.

Check these auctions.

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?Keywords=.223+ammo
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    that is the going rate due to the supp;y and demand..cabellas has the same price remington 55FMJ
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    .50/rd is kinda on the high end of what I've seen.

Check these auctions.

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?Keywords=.223+ammo

Yikes! You might want to take a look yourself. . .

There is brass case stuff bid up to $0.60 cents per round, with a case of the same Remington 55 grain ammo currently bid at over 50 cents per round.

Meanwhile even some of the Russian steel case ammo is being bid up to 40 cents per round.

So it appears that 50 cents a round for this ammo is probably a fair, if not great price.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I miss when it was 2.99 or 3.99 a box.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You most likley will see it again as soon as these guys stop driving up the market. There is no rime behind the reason that all of these people are buying like they are. How long do they think its going to last if they need to use it.

Funny!

Emmett
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Emmett Dunham
    You most likley will see it again as soon as these guys stop driving up the market. There is no rime behind the reason that all of these people are buying like they are. How long do they think its going to last if they need to use it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "need to use it", but if there is some sort of civil unrest where the average schmoe needs to shoot off .223 rounds, you'd expect prices on such ammo to go up, not down.

I admit that $0.50 per round for .223 seems crazy (especially when milsurp .308 ammo, for example, isn't much more), and that there is a good chance that prices will subside a *little* bit, but I think the days of $3.00 per box (or 15 cents/round) .223 ammo are permanently gone.

Of course a big part of the current ammo shortage is hoarding by people afraid that the Obama administration is going to ban ammo, tax it, or require idiotic "microstamping" measures, driving up costs.

Part of it is just as a defensive measure in a time of economic stress. People are afraid of a breakdown in law and order, and in particular there has been a surge in border violence spilling into the USA from Mexico.

But part of it is just that overall demand is higher. More Americans own black rifles today than ever before. Now just about every small community has a SWAT team, and more and more police are using .223 rifles. This requires thousands of rounds of ammo for training and inventory.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cheapest wholesaler in the country sells it to us dealers for $7.93 a box by the case.. Id say $10 a box is DEFINITELY a decent deal ..
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Natchez offers the same for $9 a box, though they appear to be entirely sold out

If I were sold out, I would sell mine for $9 a box also.

Unfortunately, those that have it can sell it for $10 a box and not have to look for customers to do it, either.

It's not a great price but it's not a bad price and there are a lot of places where .223 is unobtainable where they would think it is a fantastic price.

Dan R
  • Options
    moreammoplzmoreammoplz Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't find it around here at all so I guess those who have it will get whatever they want for now.
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the best deals I have found is the 200 packs of Federal .223 with a 50 grain Speer hollowpoint, advertised at 3325 fps? for about $80. That is $0.40 per round, and I have had very good results with this ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, FWIW, I bought the last case.

Maybe it won't keep on going up, but somehow I don't think this ammo is going to get any cheaper in the next 6 months either.

FWIW, the "regular" (non-sale) ammo is $12 a box, and there appears to be some of it left on the shelf.