In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinions on Champion Safes

AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
The "BIG" name safe distributors either do not want to deliver or will only do so for what I consider to be a astronomical fee. The Champion Safe Co. distributor will deliver AND set up for what amounts to $1.25 a mile. Since this is much less expensive and much more convenient than anyone else, I am inclined to go with them. But before I do I would like to hear your opinions on the Model 50 (40X72X28) Triumph Series.My Many Thanks In Advance: AdamsQuailHunter

Comments

• Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone thinking about buying a safe should figure on some serious money for handling and shipping. Once I was about to buy a safe at a real bargain price until I learned that the seller wanted a dollar a mile, a dollar a foot from truck to entrance and seven dollars per step up or down that it had to be moved in the delivery site. I didn't buy. I had a dump truck body company make me a box out of 1/8" plate that they delivered within the sale price. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a small safe (600lbs)a few years ago and moved it myself.Rented a movers dolly for 8 bucks.Something to think about if it is not a big safe and you have no stairs to climb.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two Champion safes including the one you describe. Generally speaking, when it come to safes of this type they are all very much the same. The locks are all the same. The difference in price is for fire lining, the thickness of the door and walls and for how many throw rods. A big difference in price is in the fancy paint which doesnt help protect the guns. An expert will get in if they want and have the time. Most others will get discouraged or caught. I am very happy with both of mine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thank you gentlemen for your responses. For fire insurance coverage, nothing less than a safe of this size and fire resistance rating is acceptable. Since it is going to have to go in the only room with a concrete floor, where my wife's washer, dryer, deep freezes and hot water heater is, all of which are white, my wife says that the fancy paint job in white is a must.Since I have not heard any "squawks" about the Champion Safe Company or its products, I believe I will go with it as their distrubutor will deliver AND set up this thing that weighs nearly 1500 pounds.
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    Boy I sure hope the concrete floor'd room isn't down a flight of stairs or behind a standard doorframe - I'd be very seriously measuring the installation route INSIDE the building before making a committment. There aren't a lot of residential stairs built to take 3/4 ton loads & you don't want to remove a wall getting a safe thru a door that's too small, do you?
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buddyb,Please tell me about your safe move. I expect one in about 2 weeks. Is the movers dolly that you rented a 4 wheel device or one of those 2 wheel, what I call appliance dollys? I have a rather small safe 22x38x63 that weighs 700#. The delivery folks will get it in the front door, but it's up to me from there on. Any tips are appreciated.Jeff
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put both of mine into my cement floor basement by laying down a piece of 3/4 inch plywood on the stairs and slid it down in the crate. Make sure you have several competent and strong men to acomplish this.also it is very important to control the humidity inside the safe. Make sure you get a electric dry rod, especially if it is in the basement.
  • Options
    ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got a Ft. Knox safe last month, a 60" by 26" wide model, with reinforced fire door.The safe cost around $1200, and weighed almost 700 lbs. I bit the bullet and paid 2 kids who work at the gun store another $200 to deliver it 40 miles to my house. Steep, but they completely took care of delivery and setup.One piece of advice- put something under the safe so it's not in direct contact with a cement floor. I've heard moisture will condense directly under a safe in direct contact with the floor. I've got mine up on plywood.Also, humidity rod, for around 40 bucks, is a good idea. Runs at ~7 watts, just need a hole drilled for plug.[This message has been edited by ED P (edited 09-21-2001).]
  • Options
    tddbpstddbps Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a liberty safe (1000lbs). It took 5 guys to move it. I used a movers dolly. If you are going to move if yourself, make sure you have some help. It is only easy, when you are on flat ground, otherwise expect to be working. Good luck.
  • Options
    32wsl32wsl Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything said is great. Quail Hunter: that washer and drier probably increases humidity in that room. So does the water heater: even with a golden rod, keep your eyes open for rust. Also, some safes have a bolt hole in their top. This is for a hardened eye bolt to assist raising and lowering on the slide you set up on any steps. I've used 3 or 4 3'long 1" iron pipe to roll safes around too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thank all you gentlemen for your responses. I am sure that the Captain will have Scotty beam a lock on this topic, before he does I would like to say thanks for the input. Since I have not heard any "squawks" about the company nor the safe, I will go with their distributor. Since they will deliver AND set up for a reasonable fee, I am going to let them handle the job. At my age, neither my back nor my knees would be up to the job, and all of my friends are my same age with the same kinds of backs and knees.I will certainly have it equipped with a "dry" rod for humidity control.Again my many thanks for your responses.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine was a 1500lbs National Security, took the door off (600lbs) then wrapped the base (900lbs) with carpet, tied a rope to it, laid it on it's side, and let gravity take it down stairs. Took six of us to carry the door down stairs and set it on a floor jack....rolled it into place. I would probably buy two smaller safes if I had to do it over. It's a bear everytime trying to change carpet under it.