In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911a1 Colt top w/Ithaca FJA stamp

MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have been trying to get a friend to sell me his old 1943 45 which looks to be in 90% condition. He got it long ago for $15 on a gov't program.

Looking more carefully, it isn't all Colt Army. The left side fram stamp is good old FJA, and it is in the range of duplicated Colt/Ithaca serial numbers... 879xxx.

So where does this put it in the collector value picture?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's right at the cut-off point where Ithaca started production, in 1943. Colt's (GHD) with higher serial numbers are known. My WAG it's not a parts gun at all. Chances are that either Ithaca or Colt assembled
    1911 A1's, using the other factories parts during that transition period.

If anything a knowledgeable collector would put a higher value on this type of transition 1911 A1 than either a righteous Colt or Ithaca. My 2?.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without photos, I haven't a clue.

Neal
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks just like this, but says Colt on the slide instead of Ithaca.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=56520
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to look under the firing pin stop & see if there is a serial number stamped there. And, you might want to remove the barrel & describe the color & markings stamped on it.

But, it sounds like a mixed parts gun that would sell in the $800-1,000 range.

Neal