In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

#5 Jungle Carbine question

ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know if early mfg #5's(Nov. 44) had a non-hollowed out bolt handle. I have been told that some of these early one's used regular # 4 bolts. The one I have is like that but have noted that the handle itself appears to be thinner than standard.

Comments

• Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm interested in a reply also. Never heard about this. Tom
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a all numbers matching one dated 9/44 with a solid handle.
    4 digit serial number.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

Many of the No. 5's were armory or field refurbished.

Rebuilt rifles may be found with the solid bolt handles on bolts originally made for the No. 4 rifle since they are a mirror image of the No. 5 bolt except for lightening cuts.

I have two No. 5's, one from BSA, Shirley, the other from Fazakerley. Both have the hollow bolt stamped with the serial number and matching the number on the receiver.

You might look at the bolt handle where it joins the bolt body and see if there is a serial number stamped on the bolt handle. If it matches the receiver serial number, I would say it is original, unless the handle serial number has been re-stamped, which they did quite often.

Best,

Heavyiron