In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New stock for old FN magnum mauser action

1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
I inherited an old Weatherby rifle in .378 magnum that I would like to find a new stock for.

The rifle was built by Weatherby in 1959 using a FN magnum mauser action that has a center to center distance on the action screws of 8 1/4 inch. Looking at aftermarket stock manufacturers, I do not see any stocks that are made for that long of an action.

Recoil on the gun is just brutal, and I would like to put it in a stock with mercury recoil reducers and a really good pad so I can actually shoot this thing without quite so much pain. (I don't want to mess with the original stock because of the collector value of the gun.)

Any ideas other than having a total custom stock made? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes your action is longer, look at the second #6 on this list.
    http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mauser_reference.html

I believe you are going to spend a lot of money for what you want to do.

Ever think about hand loading softer loads????
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    Yes your action is longer, look at the second #6 on this list.
    http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mauser_reference.html

I believe you are going to spend a lot of money for what you want to do.

Ever think about hand loading softer loads????

Right about reload with softer loads. (low recoil, reduced velocity.
    I've reloaded the big un's hard kickers, big muzzle blast with softer loads USING REGULAR JACKETED HUNTING BULLETS, not cast that grandkids can practice shooting and hunt deer sized game, for example 300 win mag, 7mm mags, 30/06, 300 wby's.

I use mostly 5744 powder from a reload manual and by varying the powder charges I can get most of them to shoot real close to the same point of impact at 100 yards as a HV heavy recoil load. (not even have to reset the scope settings.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Surely one of the stockmakers makes a semi or fully inletted stock for the Magnum Mauser; either wood or fiberglass.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1fisher,

First and foremost, there were only a few thousand of the the Brevex Mauser actions manufactured which were available in three sizes if I remember correctly. This means that commercially available stocks will be few and far between. The Brevex Mausers are highly prized and collectible simply due to the lack of numbers. They were keenly sought after by custom rifle makers for years until the supply ran out. Now there are just the custom rifles left and the few actions only squirreled away by collectors waiting to make their final killing when they sell their collections.

Stocking these actions used to be the realm of the custom stock makers only at prices which approached heaven itself. The ones I worked on ranged from $5,000 to $12,000 depending on the quality of the wood and accouterments added.

However with the advent of CNC inletting the cost may be down to the point where you might consider having a stock inletted for your rifle.

Show-Me Gunstock Co

19557 Quail Ridge Rd,

Warsaw, MO 65355

(660) 438-4568

Wenig Custom Gunstocks

103 N Market St,

Lincoln, MO 65338

(660) 547-3334

http://www.wenig.com/

U.S. Gun Inletting and Stocks

gunstockinletting@gmail.com

530-415-7990

www.gunstockinletting.com

There are some other stock makers who could probably help and others you should stay away from due to a lack of quality. Try the ones above to get a feel for the cost. I know the first two personally so I trust them. The third one is from a referral.

Best.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice rifle. +1 for cast bullets and a reduced load, much cheaper to shoot and much easier on the shoulder. A friend hunts deer with a Sako in that caliber, with cast bullets I made for him.

Ask around for someone with a stock duplicator/panagraph. Using your stock as the pattern (will cost extra to keep from damaging it during the process of copying it) you should be able to get a new stock at somewhat normal prices.
  • Options
    1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many thanks, guys!!

Now I at least know what I am looking for -- but as I feared, it won't be cheap or easy!

I will look into some dies and cast bullet data.