In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ithaca Lefever Nitro 16ga chamber?

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
I pick this up from the FFL today:
https://www.GunBroker.com/item/785877690

I dropped a chamber gauge in it and it has a 2 1/2" chamber.

I have an Ithaca flues model in 20ga with a 2 1/2" chamber. I am leaving it as is and order 2 1/2" shells for it. But I am considering extending this 16ga out to 2 3/4".

My understanding is these Ithaca made Lefever Nitros are stout guns. So my questions are, 1) is it safe to extend these 16ga chambers to 2 3/4" and 2) what's you folks opinion on doing so?

I am not much concerned with long term value and am more considering the practical use of the shotgun for bird hunting and the chance I need to buy shells while on a trip. I am also thinking extending the chambers may keep someone in the future from messing up by running the wrong ammo through it.

I have other shotguns so it's not something I need to do so I can hunt. Just something I am considering.

Answers appreciated, thanks.

9/29 Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't thought about 20ga reducers. Those would be handy if the chambers are extended or not. May get some for 28ga too just to have, 3/4oz loads would be great for younguns. Also hadn't thought about having the forcing cones lengthened, which is a good idea if it's being worked on anyway.

I'll have a gunsmith look at it to get his input. Leaning towards having it done, if can, just for convenience sake and to decrease the chance someone runs the wrong stuff through it.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harder to find 16 gauge shells these days than back in the 70's at a mom & pop store out in the country. Short ones -good luck.

I'd look at the barrel thickness in the zone of interest. Steel after 20's has a better reputation IMHO - not saying before that there wasn't some good stuff.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Considering it's condition, and what you bought it for. Don't see any problem reaming the chambers, for 2 3/4 shells.

Be sure, to have a competent shotgun gunsmith. To do it, to ensure it's done correctly. With your future safety in mind.

I'm with Charlie, as far as the availability of 16 gauge ammo is concerned. Never could understand, why 16 gauge is so unpopular on this side of the pond. Years back, when I was in the gun business. You couldn't give away, a hunting grade 16. The only one seemingly with a following, that could be sold reality. Was the high dollar, Browning Sweet 16.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A knowledgeable gunsmith can measure and determine if it is safe to extend the chamber. It depends on the thickness of the barrel at the extended area. I think it is a worthwhile / practical project.
    This is a secret: I had a professional gunsmith tell me that he shot 2 3/4 shells in his 2 1/2 chambered Parker 16 ga. all the time.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    A knowledgeable gunsmith can measure and determine if it is safe to extend the chamber. It depends on the thickness of the barrel at the extended area. I think it is a worthwhile / practical project.
    This is a secret: I had a professional gunsmith tell me that he shot 2 3/4 shells in his 2 1/2 chambered Parker 16 ga. all the time.

Considering the condition, of the noted shotgun. As seen in the auction photos. I definitely wouldn't be doing this. Wouldn't be even shooting it. Until a competent gunsmith, gave it a through going over.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike Orlen would be my choice for both opinion on feasible and to have the work done. While you're at it have the forcing cones lengthened. That will help improve patterns and reduce felt recoil some.

M'self, I'd leave it 2 1/2" and have the cones done. But then, I'm already set up to load 2 1/2" 16. You'd be amazed what that cartridge is capable of with the right load recipe.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on how much you intend to shoot. If you are going to shoot a lot
    then you should consider reloading. 2 1/2 hulls are readily available also
    this gives you a greater selection of ammo than what is offered in 2 3/4 .
    your press is easily adapatable to pre crimp and crimp to 2 1/2 . If you are going
    to only shoot a little consider a pair or 16 to 20 ga gauge mates. This solves
    two problems chamber lenght and available ammo. And surprisingly every
    16ga I have pattern improves with firing a 20 ga shell.. I think it has to do
    with allowing the shot column to square up in essentially in a over bore. The only
    problem is extraction requires you to remove the 20'ga from the stainless
    gage mate sleeve sometimes. And only shoot 2 3/4 20'gauge, not because of
    chamber but because of pressure of a 3 in .